2Likes
  • 1 Post By matthew.miller.1
  • 1 Post By livebearerlove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Matt's Fusion 20 Tech Build

Having been a saltwater hobbyist for 9 years I knew at some point I would start a planted tank. Im happy to be part of The Planted Tank forum and hope to contribute and learn some valuable techniques to further my skill set.

Today I setup a Innovative Marine Fusion 20. My intent is to setup a clean, low maintenance high tech tank. I would love to ditch the screen top.

The tank has the AIO false wall removed and drilled for a Fluval G3 canister filter. I have also installed an inline heater. I have the idea of using an inline diffuser, but i do not like micro bubbles. Lighting the tank is a Fluval Plant 3.0 -Bluetooth. I know from experience Fluval makes a good product.

A Vortech MP10 will be kept low on nutrient transport. Atleast I think i might need the flow, but otherwise ill use it on cleanup day.

Topping off the equipment list is a micro ATO.

I placed pieces of slate to separate the foreground and background. I consider the waving stone wall to be in the center. I want a nice hedge along the top of the wall with plants building height to the back left. I will strategically place other plants around the right side, but want to keep it a medium height. Im not sure what to do with my sandbed yet.

I chose Fluval Stratum for my substrate. It is 2"-4" in the back and 1/2" in front. Covering the soil is a 1/2" layer of black sand. I really like how it contrast the slate wall.

I like the forest look and plan to cover the drift wood with mosses. This wood is really nice and dark.

Ive already planted some Monte Carlo. Im going to pickup some micro hair grass, christmas moss and a few other plants i can get going.

The tank will sit dry for atleast a month or until the mosses get a foot hold.

Let me know what you guys think. Any tips as a noob are appreciated. I still need ideas for the foreground and rockwork plants.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by matthew.miller.1; 05-05-2019 at 02:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:17 PM
Algae Grower

Looks really nice and I also moved from saltwater to planted waterbox 20g cube like 4 weeks ago. I was foolish enough to think planted hobby was cheaper hobby.I went full high tech tank with co2 and ai prime led but fluval does have good led too.Somehow your tank looks bigger for 20 gallon.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am trying for some details that make it appear bigger. I had an AI Prime and loved it on my salt tank, but i wanted something with 100% coverage. I was also tired of the disco affect. The fluval light is bluetooth.. One less device on my network as well.

This hobby is expensive, but I don't think as much as salt. It really depends on your taste. Substrate, filtration and hardscape are comparable, but lighting, salt, fish, coral, equipment and general maintenance are more IMO.

Ill trade the skimmer for CO2 maintenance all day.

I ultimately wanted to be challenged without collecting 25 species of zoas and keeping SPS for a few good months. Im absolutely done with ATO bucket and mixing salt.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A few updated pictures. I added some dwarf hair grass, a few piece of redish cardinal plant and Repens I believe. All is doing well. The moss is sticking and growing very well. The Monte Carlo has started spreading quite well.

Has anyone every mixed Seachem Flourish in a bottle of water when misting?

tredford likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:56 PM
Planted Member

Lookin good IMHO. Really like the layout.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No need to let the moss 'take hold' just use superglue or fishing line. It will do just fine submerged IMO.
matthew.miller.1 likes this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I painted the moss on in most places. Most of it has taken off and is sticking just fine. Tomorrow I have some anubius nana patite and Christmas moss arriving. I figure the tank will be flooded by mid June.

Any suggestions on fish. I want a small school of something, a bottom dweller and a boss fish. Lol.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode