What lighting do I need? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What lighting do I need?

Hey all. I have the newa 50 which has a 7w led ( 18 white leds at 4500k and 6 actinic Royal blue less 445nm). The aquarium is 35cm x 35cm x 36cm which will result in approximately 45 litres after you account for substrate.

I'm going to start injecting co2 into it. Is the lighting setup I have sufficient or do I have to upgrade considering I'm going to start injecting co2?. My lfs suggested the kessil a80. What do you think? I'm wide open to suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Algae Grower

I am pretty new to aquatic plants so I am not going to be able to give you a lot of specifics, but I do know that the answer will depend on what you are growing. If you don't know yet then the light you have is perfectly fine. Once you plant you will need to revaluate.

If you are growing a carpet of high light plants you may need more light or if you are growing Java Moss you may have too much light etc.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks 🙂

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Planted Member

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:34 AM
Algae Grower

I brought the chihiros wrgb. I run co2 and 1/4 strength ei dosing. 15gal cube.

I've been struggling with bad Green dust algae for some time, turns out the light is way stronger than I thought.

I was running it for 10hrs, at 100% for 4 hrs. I'm now running it at 80% for 1hr then ramping down over 5. The algae has definitely slowed right down. Once it is gone I'll start increasing the light intensity, then photoperiod length.

Coupled with the commander 4, it's a great light. Definitely over kill! But it gives lots of headroom to play. Just remember in the beginning that less light is more.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 PM
Algae Grower

On my Nano, a Waterbox 7 gallon tank, I was running a NICREW 12" light that is rated at 13 watts. It has 24 White, 2 Red, 2 blue and 2 green LEDs. It kept the tank lit up well and was growing my plants like mad. I think since your tank is bigger then you are going to need a stronger light.

I don't think I would suggest the NICREW light I have though. While it has great lights and is right where I need it to be there are some limits. One, it only has three settings on it, all LEDs on, all LEDs off and only the RGB lights on. Second there is no built in timer so you have to use an external timer and it's on or off then. Third, there is no way to dim the lights so if there is too much light you have to move the light higher above the tank.

If you don't mind using a timer and it just being all on or all off then they are great cheap lights. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077HKMFWM For a 13 gallon tank it might be a little low on the wattage so low light plants and some higher light plants if they are planted higher in the tank.

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode