Dennerle Shrimp King tank -Now with a 2nd Shrimp King Tank 3-9-2020 - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I hope you'll like it. I've made a few more changes as time has gone on. I think I'll stick with Aqua Clears with protected intakes or sponge filters over the provided internal filter. I've also added second lights to both tanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontee View Post
So my feeling is that the ruffly plant is a long stem of Pogostemon helferi.
Oh, meant to say that someone ID'd this one on another thread, Ludwigia inclinata "tornado" or "curly."

Newer tank is coming along nicely. Plants are filling in and I added 6 crystal red shrimp. Something about this tank/lighting makes S. minima and frogbit grow ridiculously long roots compared to my other tanks. I pulled most of it after this photo. Naturally, now this makes me want to completely redo my other one.

Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
I ordered an fluval ac30 for mine, hope its not overkill. I have a smaller nano one if its too much. My plan is for seiryu stones and anubias, with a few crypts as well.
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I'm using an AquaClear 50 on one of these, a 30 should be fine. I tried a 70 but even turned down it was more flow than you can have in a tank with floaters.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 06-12-2020 at 12:24 AM. Reason: reason

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I goofed, its the fluval c2 rated for up to 30 gals, should be fine
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 06:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gorgeous tanks and shrimp! I love them all. 😊
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

*Brittany*
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Thank you! It'll be a couple or six months before they're where I want them but the foundation is there for a really pretty aquarium. Using CO2 has me spoiled on how fast I expect things to fill in, but these are medium light no CO2 tanks and are going to take a while, even with soil, ferts, and weekly maintenance. Speaking of, when I went to do my 10% water change today, I found a very curious place for a dead shrimp. They climb on top of floating/emerged plants often, but I didn't expect this (shrimp body at top of photo).

I've decided to remove the river rock from the first Dennerle. I really liked the look of it but it's just too hard to maintain with hardscape that can't be budged. The tank looks pretty pitiful now, but I'll add some wood and some smaller plants from other tanks over the weekend. Also pulled the internal filter and sponge filter and went simple with only an Aqua Clear 30. There was just way too much inside of the tank for how often I get my hands in it. And I suspect the internal filter's "baby protector" had torn, because babies have been disappearing for months now.

Discusluv likes this.

post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Figured while shooting my Osaka vids I should do one on the Dennerle's since all the crystal red shrimp were out and about. Until I turned on the camera, of course....

doug105! and Discusluv like this.

post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are you using fluval stratum ffg or the substrate? Btw tanks look great
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Figured while shooting my Osaka vids I should do one on the Dennerle's since all the crystal red shrimp were out and about. Until I turned on the camera, of course....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ipw...ature=youtu.be
Your going to be You tube star!! You really are a natural. Also, you dont speak in that annoying, yelling, hyper- in your face way so many male You tubers do. Why do they do that?
Id rather listen to a soothing voice any-day!

These tanks are looking spectacular as well. Are there babies in the crystal tank?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I accidentally netted a couple when catching them out of my shrimp rack, so technically there are some young ones but none that hatched out in this tank.

Thanks on the compliments but like a lot of people, I cringe at the sound of my own voice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by second View Post
Are you using fluval stratum ffg or the substrate? Btw tanks look great
I used Dennerle's Scaper's soil for this one. Similar to ADA, it produced a lot of NH4 the first several weeks but has stopped now. I run a pet supply shop and one of my vendors briefly picked up the Dennerle line so I tried lots of their stuff out. They've since dropped Dennerle, so looks like I'm forced back to brands I can order online. Shame, because they make some good products.
second likes this.

post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thats too bad about dennerle products, with they were more available. One more question
how much of that substrate did you need the the tank? Looks like you;ve got a good 3" s or so. I bought an 8ish pound bag of fluval stratum but dont know if it will be enough.

My plan is for some seiryu / maybe spiderwood. and mostly anubias with maybe a little crypts
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I don't recall the weight of the bag but it did give me roughly 3" depth, which seems about right for plants without long roots. I'd test any seiryu stone before using it to be sure it won't leech CACO3. It and dragon stone aren't "supposed" to, but often do.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode