Dennerle Shrimp King tank -Now with a 2nd Shrimp King Tank 3-9-2020 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
So is this kit worth the money in your opinion?
It's a very nice low iron tank, an adequate light, and well-designed filter though it needs the baby protector that is sold separately.

Quote:
What substrate do you recommend?
I used Dennerle's shrimp substrate on this one, since the rest of the kit was their brand. I can't tell the difference in it and ADA whatsoever. These are the only two acid buffering substrates I've ever used, so not experienced enough to say if others out there are better. But both of these are working.
Quote:
Bump: Is the filter good? I am setting up a 10 gallon shrimp tank in the future and sponge filters are hideous.
I run a sponge filter in this tank in addition. They both hide behind plants and rocks pretty well. I may remove one or the other at some point.
Quote:
Bump: Should I get the filter extension to?
I don't think that would be needed. It's like a 20" maybe 24" tank and the flow is adequate.

In a nutshell, I like it well enough that I've ordered another one.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you. I already have a 10 gallon that will soon not be in use, so the kit is not the best deal for me at the time, though in the future when I want another shrimp tank, that is a good looking tank.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:21 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Really love this shot because it illustrates just how tiny these little bugs are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Here's a sponge filter outtake with a new baby on it to give some sense of scale. They are *tiny* things! You could absolutely suck them up with airline tubing:
@Discusluv: Not sure that there's one that's more threatened than another. I think you're on the right track by keeping the wild-types you're interested in.

I'm all about keeping cool-looking shrimp. But also think we need to do more to highlight things like wild bees. @Blue Ridge Reef and you have kind of inspired me because of your interest in these more natural varieties. Maybe I need to suck it up and keep a wild-type in one of my new tanks...
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Blue Ridge Reef@Discusluv @somewhatshocked

You have all just started entering a conversation that has plagued my mind for a very long time. Conservation, but I do not want to thread hijack so I'll make this little comment.
We ourselves are responsible for population degradation and environmental demolition of the habitats. The trickle down of responsibility lies with us in the end, if no one purchases the exported animals, fish, shrimp the market takes a knock. However, and I myself fall prey to this, imports cost next to nothing whereas "bred in X" are always a premium, not to mention the grading system. I have some stories from back in Australia when I was breeding different L number plecos that would horrify.

On a different note. I am not one to go crazy for grading either, so whilst you say that some of your shrimp may not be highly graded, I agree that this doesnt make them amazing creatures! I quite like the odd looking shrimp and yours look amazing.

|
|
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Any particular reason why you mounted light on sidewall instead of back where it would be more centered over whole tank?

Last edited by DaveKS; 07-31-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Typo
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Any particular reason why you mounted light on sidewall instead of back where it would be more centered over whole tank?
I moved it around a few times when it was first set up with no livestock. In the end, I liked positioning it where it threw some shadows. I moved Anubias and some crypts over to the darker side. So far, no algae is growing on the old growth Anubias which is something I deal with in most low tech tanks. When the shrimp population gets stable (about 20-30 of these become adults) I'll do a rescape and possibly move it.
Discusluv likes this.

post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Just ran across the only baby I've seen that appears to be tri-colored. I thought it was a regular black and white one, but it seems to have red also.
Thelongsnail and Discusluv like this.

post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
That's cool! Almost Tancho Sanke

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Yeah, really hoping this one makes it. I've yet to see tricolor CRS, but they may be considered low-grade and aren't bred for. But if I get a few, will move them to their own tank and see if they throw any more. Definitely counting chickens before they hatch with that idea...

post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Well, I've managed to get planaria in this tank. Presumably from a plant purchase, haven't seen a one in my other aquariums. They seem pretty sparse so far, but I'm going to dose Panacur today. Very nervous about that, but it has to be done. I could have gotten the best video last night but wasn't ready. I watched a planaria crawling up the glass and about to meet a baby shrimp. It attacked it right in front of me. Stuck to its side and the shrimp was able to jet off. But I am now sure that these aren't rhabdocoela, in spite of the head not being very triangular.

Otherwise the tank is doing well, parameters are all on, and it's crawling with baby shrimp. Hopefully Fenbendazole doesn't affect their numbers. When these babies get a little more size on them, I'd like to revamp this aquascape. For now, just trying not to touch anything and let the shrimp do their thing.

post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Home and Panacur in hand. Mine is a paste in a big 25 gram syringe for horses. It's 10% fenbendazole, so each gram is 100 mg. Not sure how I'm to measure out .01 gram of the stuff though.

Edit: So my lightest weight scale is a gram scale and I added Panacur until it registered 1 gram, then took (far) less than 10% of that, then estimated 1% of that (which is like a dip with a toothpick) and put in a test tube with RO water and shook vigorously. I'll add it a tiny bit at a time and observe. I'm under-dosing but really scared to have a second wipe out in this tank! Also would prefer to not kill all of the snails. I have powder on order and will use that if this doesn't wipe them out. Not even going to risk using more of this, equine strength is simply too strong for my application.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 08-11-2019 at 08:56 PM. Reason: reason
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Well, the equine Panacur isn't working at the dosage I'm comfortable using so have powder on the way. In the meantime, I had a planaria trap and baited it with high protein flake food. This tank gets fed very little protein so when any is added, these things come running for it. Caught quite a few.

post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Well, a few plants have quite outpaced the others and the rock scape on the whole left side is hidden not even 6 months in. I put a sprig of Bolbitis in which took off, as well as the rotala in the back which is a cluster at the moment. And the Val I placed to hide the filter is sending runners wherever it darn well pleases.

2 months after filling, and just after adding livestock (mid April):

Today:

Closeup:

Look at this closeup of Val sending up runners along the front glass:

I'm trying to keep my hands out of this until some of the babies get some size on them. The first pruning I did had quite a few shrimp fry in the trimmed plant matter so I'm not ready to disturb this too much just yet. Especially now that 90% of the shrimp population left are fry/small juveniles since the wipe out. So it will be messy for the next few months and hopefully then I can make the tank orderly again. But for now it's doing its job and growing healthy shrimp and plants. I'm learning that it is so much easier setting up big tanks insofar as keeping the scape they way you had in mind. On such a small scale, even one plant growing much more quickly throws everything off you had in mind.
Discusluv likes this.

post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Well, a few plants have quite outpaced the others and the rock scape on the whole left side is hidden not even 6 months in. I put a sprig of Bolbitis in which took off, as well as the rotala in the back which is a cluster at the moment. And the Val I placed to hide the filter is sending runners wherever it darn well pleases.

2 months after filling, and just after adding livestock (mid April):

Today:

Closeup:

Look at this closeup of Val sending up runners along the front glass:

I'm trying to keep my hands out of this until some of the babies get some size on them. The first pruning I did had quite a few shrimp fry in the trimmed plant matter so I'm not ready to disturb this too much just yet. Especially now that 90% of the shrimp population left are fry/small juveniles since the wipe out. So it will be messy for the next few months and hopefully then I can make the tank orderly again. But for now it's doing its job and growing healthy shrimp and plants. I'm learning that it is so much easier setting up big tanks insofar as keeping the scape they way you had in mind. On such a small scale, even one plant growing much more quickly throws everything off you had in mind.
Wonderful! I love the larger rounded rock you used. Jake and I had been discussing this look as well in another thread-- its a great look! And the color of the rock is very nice as well. Remind me what kind of shrimp are in here again--- you have so many going that I forget which is which, lol!
Those plants are going bonkers.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Amy
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Big shrimp are mischlings, but just look like plain ol' crystal reds and blacks. I have 4-5 blue bolts in with them. Rock is Quartz from my local stream. You can see the 4th piece sitting off to the side, I pulled it out during a water change and now there's not a place to put it! Wish this stuff wasn't so heavy, I really like it and would mail you some but shipping would make free rocks pretty expensive.
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode