Ideas for new 3.4 gallon - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwaterguy4u View Post
Nutrafin, I don't have tests for ammonia and ph. I need to get the other tests I guess.
Yes, at bare minimum: pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates.... (the API test should cover all of this with the test tubes in one kit). KH/GH are big ones as well especially since you are abroad and water can be complicated.
Thelongsnail likes this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Quote:
Nutrafin, I don't have tests for ammonia and ph. I need to get the other tests I guess.
Yes, at bare minimum: pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates.... (the API test should cover all of this with the test tubes in one kit). KH/GH are big ones as well especially since you are abroad and water can be complicated.
I'm going to order the API 5 in 1 test strips.

I'm on Vancouver Island, BC.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm going to order the API 5 in 1 test strips.

I'm on Vancouver Island, BC.
I would order the drop- not the test strips. The strips will put you in the 'ballpark' the drops will be 'on the base' (my baseball terms are terrible.... lol)

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters

post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Test strips are only good for spot checking at best. For troubleshooting you'll want the liquid test kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ph 6.6

Ammonia 4.0 ppm
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Ph 6.6

Ammonia 4.0 ppm
Ammonia NEEDS to be 0... 4ppm will kill your fish
Did you cycle your tank before adding the fish?

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I would order the drop- not the test strips. The strips will put you in the 'ballpark' the drops will be 'on the base' (my baseball terms are terrible.... lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
Test strips are only good for spot checking at best. For troubleshooting you'll want the liquid test kit.
Quote:
Ammonia NEEDS to be 0... 4ppm will kill your fish
Did you cycle your tank before adding the fish?
I put a used filter in the tank for a week and used bio media from the cycled tank and left it for a week along with all the tanks. Used tetra safe start and nutrafin cycle. The was only 3 months old, so maybe it wasn't cycled even though nitrate readings were low.

I rushed it because I was optimistic about the powers of old media(not that old) and bacteria supplements.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

3 months it should be cycled....
but if you used chlorinated water at any time... that could have killed the good bacteria. USually my tanks tanks take 2-4 weeks to cycle. But im diligent with dosing ammonia, etc.
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20
....is what you should be testing all the time.
I had a friend who kept having issues : algea blooms, etc. Turns out, they scrubbed the stones/gravel under the tap water.... they also cleaning the filter regularly (every month) with tap water.... which meant they killed all the good bacteria... and in essence were starting the cycle all over again. Fish kept dying, everything was stressed.
Thelongsnail likes this.

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:13 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I put a used filter in the tank for a week and used bio media from the cycled tank and left it for a week along with all the tanks. Used tetra safe start and nutrafin cycle. The was only 3 months old, so maybe it wasn't cycled even though nitrate readings were low.

I rushed it because I was optimistic about the powers of old media(not that old) and bacteria supplements.
I wonder if you actually starved the bacteria -- as I understand it, if you use cycled media you should be feeding it immediately. I don't know how long it takes for it to die, but if it was in there for a week with nothing to eat, you aren't really maintaining a cycle, I don't think...hopefully someone more experienced/knowledgeable will chime in on that one. In any case, good luck!
livebearerlove likes this.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post
I wonder if you actually starved the bacteria -- as I understand it, if you use cycled media you should be feeding it immediately. I don't know how long it takes for it to die, but if it was in there for a week with nothing to eat, you aren't really maintaining a cycle, I don't think...hopefully someone more experienced/knowledgeable will chime in on that one. In any case, good luck!
Quote:
3 months it should be cycled....
but if you used chlorinated water at any time... that could have killed the good bacteria. USually my tanks tanks take 2-4 weeks to cycle. But im diligent with dosing ammonia, etc.
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20
....is what you should be testing all the time.
I had a friend who kept having issues : algea blooms, etc. Turns out, they scrubbed the stones/gravel under the tap water.... they also cleaning the filter regularly (every month) with tap water.... which meant they killed all the good bacteria... and in essence were starting the cycle all over again. Fish kept dying, everything was stressed.

I never use untreated water. I clean the filters with aquarium water. Isn't 20 nitrate too high?

Maybe I didn't add food for the bacteria and the older tank was never really cycled. Nitrates were never really high for the older tank.
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How often do you 'clean' filters?
By 'untreated' do you mean you do something to the tap water? or do you use a bottled water? (im troubleshooting here... as your ammonia is deathly high- granted you have a high bioload, but that should be rectified quickly if the filter is ideal)

20ppm nitrates is not too high in a planted tank as the plants use it. High is 80ppm....

post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I clean filters every two to three weeks. Maybe I just left it too long with water changes and didn't remove the dead snails. I removed three or four dead snails. I started just cracking the snails open and letting the puffers chew on them for a day.

I treat with seachem prime.

Sadly one of the puffers is going to die. I really wished I had evacuated them earlier.
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I clean filters every two to three weeks. Maybe I just left it too long with water changes and didn't remove the dead snails. I removed three or four dead snails. I started just cracking the snails open and letting the puffers chew on them for a day.

I treat with seachem prime.

Sadly one of the puffers is going to die. I really wished I had evacuated them earlier.
Dead snails is also a sign..
That seems way to often to touch your filters.... I touch mine about every 2-4 months. even then, no 'cleaning' just ensuring there is not too much buildup.

Please do water changes until your ammonia reaches 0... otherwise you will lose all the fish.....
I would do 50%- then 20% every hour till your ammonia is 0. This will be a painful lesson.

post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Puffers and otto are in the betta tank and the betta is in the snail breeding tank. Ammonia has gone down a bit and I've removed two more rotting snails that the puffers had killed. I'm going to just crush the snails from now on instead having them with the puffers to hunt.
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very sad to read through the earlier posts.

Larger tanks give more leeway for things going wrong. Imho both your tanks are overstocked and Iíd replace them with larger ones. Either way, I hope things work out for you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode