NAA- Nano Addiction anonymous... new tank recomendation - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TDSapp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
NAA- Nano Addiction anonymous... new tank recomendation

Im seeking a small desktop tank (2 gallons and under)

Im going to use it to house a pregant female livebearer and her fry until they are are eating regular flake food (couple weeks) with anubias. I do want GLASS and not plastic. I need a simple setup as I will care for it, but it is going in my spouses office downstairs.

• EcoQube Aquarium 1 gallon (I have a moringa tree sprouting now, which could be fun... their food really should have a decent filter as it is so small)
  • Fluval spec III 2.5 gallon- I have it but it sucks up the babies as the intake is a slit in the bottom of the wall! i tried covering the intake, but it doesnt work well.
  • MarineLand Contour Glass 3 gallon
  • Penn Plex Prism Nano 2 gal- plastic, gross
  • Cobalt Aquatics 14010 Microvue3- 2.5 gal.... this has an internal filter, anyone know how these work?

Any help? anyone used an internal filter before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Algae Grower

How did you block the intake on the Fluval Spec III? I had a Fluval Flex, which has similar filter setup, and I wedged a big block of foam into the filter section, which prevent shrimplets from finding their way into the filter. You can also close it off with epoxy or silicon, but you'll need to make sure you keep the water level up so that the filter does not run dry.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
How did you block the intake on the Fluval Spec III? I had a Fluval Flex, which has similar filter setup, and I wedged a big block of foam into the filter section, which prevent shrimplets from finding their way into the filter. You can also close it off with epoxy or silicon, but you'll need to make sure you keep the water level up so that the filter does not run dry.
I ended up not blocking it...
The slit is at the very bottom, about 2 inches above the substrate... I never thought to block it from the other side.

I kept trying from 'inside' the tank. They got sucked into that slit, and I would be picking them out (baby shrimp too
UPDATE:
I found a new aquarium.....
The size and shape of this would be awesome!... I could do paludarium style (with just one tree coming out like a mangrove). The height and length would cover the outlets on the wall and the small depth means you could still use the countertop.... very stealth.

Im really thinking of this.... hate the light (so that would be an upgrade or maybe use the fluval light from my spec). There is limited info on the filter (I prefer the Cobalt for ease of covering the intake), so im not sure how I would cover it- fish net or panty hose somehow?....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, I bought it.

Now I have to figure out my palladium design. I really like the bonsai or mangrove look. The internet search is on!

Ill have to replace the light, and maybe the filter. But the tank is the right size!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Ok, I bought it.

Now I have to figure out my palladium design. I really like the bonsai or mangrove look. The internet search is on!

Ill have to replace the light, and maybe the filter. But the tank is the right size!

When you search make sure you check out Pinterest.com. I have gotten some great inspiration on there. For both Hot Rods and fish tanks.

Tim
livebearerlove likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
When you search make sure you check out Pinterest.com. I have gotten some great inspiration on there. For both Hot Rods and fish tanks.
How apropos. Just now I got on Pinterest and found one of my old Pico scapes accidentallyon someones pinterest.... when I originally did it pinterest wasnt even a thing!!
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/166914729913952650/

I was laughing so hard I almost tore my stitches.
I think im looking at a ficus bonsai that I will integrate on top... wondering about the water parameters as ficus does have a 'milky' sap if the root was cut. Research time I guess.....

Peace lily is just so easy... and i never go the easy route, hmmm.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Just now I got on Pinterest and found one of my old Pico scapes accidentallyon someones pinterest.... when I originally did it pinterest wasnt even a thing!!
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/166914729913952650/
Ok that is cool... Is that a shot glass, or a glass for a two bite dessert?

Would that be considered a pico or a femto?

Tim
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
Ok that is cool... Is that a shot glass, or a glass for a two bite dessert?

Would that be considered a pico or a femto?

Tim
HAHA! I think they consider it a femto nowadays.... lol. Held about 1.5 cups of water.

Back when I made it- I think the smallest tanks were just called 'nano'.
But 6 years later now they have all sorts of neat names. Point is, it worked! lol. Never had an algae bloom, cherry shrimp stayed alive, and the moss overgrew like gang busters!

I promised I would never do something so stupid again..... and yet now I have a collection of vases with anubias, etc in them! As mentioned.... nano tanks are addicting!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode