2Likes
  • 1 Post By KayakJimW
  • 1 Post By TDSapp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Y'all done messed me up!

I found that I have enjoyed this 7 gallon Nano tank here at work more than I have the 150 gallon tank at home. Now I have been considering selling my 150 and just sticking with Nano tanks. I don't think I have seen many fish guys sell a big tank just to go smaller. Not unless something like a move forced it.

So what size does it take for everyone to consider it a Nano tank?

I have a 7 gallon Waterbox at work and do consider it a Nano and apparently so does everyone on here. But what if I had a 15 gallon tank, would that be considered a Nano tank too? I mean it would be a Nano compared to my 150 gallon tank. But compared to a 20... maybe not.

So here is what I am thinking... A couple years ago I came across a little 15 gallon tank for $5 at the LFS. They had gotten them when they bought out either a hobbyist or a small fish store. They could not sell them because they are drilled on the bottom and in the middle of the tank so they kept lowering the price. I bought one thinking that I would build a stand for it and set it up as a frag tank for corals.

Now I am thinking about setting this 15 up as a shrimp tank and maybe even selling my 150 and stand. I could just plug the holes in the bottom and run it that way but I happen to have a spare 20 gallon tank (who doesn't?) and all the PVC I would need to make a sump. As everyone knows, it's easier to keep 29 gallons stable than it is to keep 14. (14 for tank, 15 in sump) I also like the fact that the sump is good to keep most of the equipment hidden.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:50 PM
Algae Grower

i've wondered about the Nano moniker. Is it the size of the inhabitants or the tank? I have assumed the former.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Size of tank volume is the determining factor. I would say 15 and under would be nano. Go nano. I love them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Rachel O'Leary has a 75 gallon nano. For hers it is the fish.

RAOK Club #55
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

cool so like most things in this hobby, it can be what you want.

:-)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd say it's more common (traditional?) to refer to the size of the tank. Nano tank meaning a tank that's nano. But I can see how a large tank full of nano critters could be referred to ask a "nano" tank just like "cichlid" tank or "goldfish" tank. My mind always goes to a tank of small volume though.

In my mind >10 gallons is nano, and >2 or 3 gallons I'd call pico, but the lines are blurred for sure
livebearerlove likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
IMO under 10g is a nano. 3g and under is a pico.
I have 1g-75g tanks. Most of them are under 10gs. The non nanos are a 12g long, and 2 75gs.
At my peak I had over 21 tanks, only 4 tanks were larger than 10g.
I prefer the small ones especially curved glass bows/jars or rimless, easy to scape (and doesn't cost a fortune in plants to fill) and maintain, fit on a desk with monitor or end table by the couch.
Starting to get into shrimp again so plant to sue several tanks for different kinds once they've aged a bit more.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I say under 10 gallon is a nano. (when i competed in aquascaping it had to be under 10 gallons to be in the nano category)

I only do nano... but be careful... they get addicting. Like anything small, you can easily justify getting more of them. (my nano are 6 gallon and even 2.5 gallon, and just starting a 1 gallon!).

Things to consider:
  • To make them look different, you need variety....So 'tiny amount' of materials, but you still need to buy full size, so that means i waste a lot and still spend all the $$$.
  • Lighting is often sub par, so you spend more time 'rigging' up solutions
  • You often have to go low tech... which can be fun till you realize that the CO2 just made things easier
  • Dosing becomes a bit of a mathimatical nightmare- HAHA
    • Often times you feel limited by the type of plants/fish you get due to space, and eventually you want to go a bit bigger
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
I say under 10 gallon is a nano. (when i competed in aquascaping it had to be under 10 gallons to be in the nano category)

I only do nano... but be careful... they get addicting. Like anything small, you can easily justify getting more of them. (my nano are 6 gallon and even 2.5 gallon, and just starting a 1 gallon!).

Things to consider:
  • To make them look different, you need variety....So 'tiny amount' of materials, but you still need to buy full size, so that means i waste a lot and still spend all the $$$.
  • Lighting is often sub par, so you spend more time 'rigging' up solutions
  • You often have to go low tech... which can be fun till you realize that the CO2 just made things easier
  • Dosing becomes a bit of a mathimatical nightmare- HAHA
    • Often times you feel limited by the type of plants/fish you get due to space, and eventually you want to go a bit bigger

Huh... There are competitions on aquascaping? I guess I will have to google that.

I understand the issues of MTS (Multi-Tank Syndrome). I have not had it as bad as most people on here but at one time I had my 150 gallon, a 55 gallon and a 20 gallon running at the same time.

I tried to do more but my wife put her foot down. Which was good. Ended up running into some issues with the tanks and they took more time and maintenance.

I understand how they become addicting. I have this 7 gallon here at work and I do like it better than the 150 at home. That may be because I am sitting right next to it and see it all day while at work. It's entertaining, distracting and calming all at the same time.

I find that I want a small shrimp tank at home, so I we and pulled the tank out of storage. Figured out I was wrong on the size, it is not a 15 gallon but a 20 long (30 X 12 X 12). Yesterday I started pulling out and cutting some wood to make a stand for it.

It is drilled on the bottom so I am going to put the 20 gallon regular tank under it as a sump. One of the holes will be the overflow so I will have to make a tower to where I want the water level, and then figure out how to cover it with the aquscaping. The return will be the other hole but I am going to put on at least a dual return nozzle system so I can keep it low in the tank. It will take some work to figure it all out, but, for me, that is part of the fun of building the stand and sitting up the tank.

Tim
livebearerlove likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode