• 1 Post By OVT
  • 2 Post By TDSapp
  • 3 Post By broadly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to make this scape better?

Hi all!

New to this forum and to freshwater planted tanks, but used to work at a non-profit as a marine aquarist. Missed it so much that I decided to get a little Fluval Spec V. I love the look of planted tanks, but I'm not sure how I feel about my tank at the moment. It's been 2 weeks for the tank as a whole, and about a week for the corkscrew vals that are melting... Just added root tabs to see if it helps. Not a fan of the roots that are showing, but since I planted some of these with a full tank, I guess it's to be expected. Anything I can do to hide them better? I have some tannins in the water from the driftwood, but I don't really mind the color and figure it'll fade with time. Will that be an issue for the plant growth? Feel like the scape is a lil disorganized too...any ideas to make it prettier? Thanks!

Update: Looks like this now!

Last edited by broadly; 04-05-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Update:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower

I liked this piece by green machine which game me a good starting point.

https://www.thegreenmachineonline.co...ng-perspectiv/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! In a small tank like this, and given the driftwood/plants I have, which one do you think would look best? I was trying to make it busier towards the left of the tank, and calmer on the right. Filled it up to the top with water and hid the thermometer and heater to make it look a little tidier too.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:21 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT.

Filling the tank closer to the top should do wonders for the overall look. Have you tried rotating the driftwood a bit? Moving the left side closer to the front and the right closer to the back should give a bit more perception of depth.

If the exposed roots bother you, just push them deeper into the sand with a finger. Moving a finger gently in a circular motion will mix the roots with sand, helping to keep the plant down.

I see some bright red shrimp in your future.
Pythos likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You don't really need that thermometer stuck on the front glass either.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

I fill my spec V to the top and angle the nozzle in an upward direction. It causes a good ripple at the top.

Yeah... I name my fish...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- "Dot"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadly View Post
Thanks! In a small tank like this, and given the driftwood/plants I have, which one do you think would look best? I was trying to make it busier towards the left of the tank, and calmer on the right. Filled it up to the top with water and hid the thermometer and heater to make it look a little tidier too.
I'd say the triangle would look best but just my opinion, try having a play about some of the guys use a cardboard mock up it's much easier than stiring the tank.
Always recommend it but trying taking a look at a few George Farmer YouTube videos or Oliver Knott

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:08 PM
Algae Grower

OK, this is just my opinion so you can take it however you want.

But I would get rid of that statue of Venus, and would replace it with something like this...

Name:  37745.jpeg
Views: 105
Size:  62.8 KB

I was going to do my tank with this guy but I could not find a good version of the ship to put in the tank as well. I was going to go for the alien world look on it. Nothing so barren as LV-426 but something green more like Planet 4, the Engineers home world.

Tim
Cinnamonamon and redneck joe like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:52 PM
Algae Grower

I also have a spec V, great all in one tank but its width makes it challenging. My spec V is pretty busy because I have shrimp and a betta together so I needed lots of hiding spaces for the shrimp. If thats not a consideration then this is what I would do (just my 2 cents since you asked).

1) Put the heater in the pump section, it will fit fine but you will probably need to lose the suction cup, its not needed anyway this gets it out of the way.
2) I would lose the thermometer all together, unless your keep your house below 60 degrees you will notice if your heater dies when you do water changes etc and that will be fast enough that your stock wont die off on you
3) Lose the statue it doesn't add realism or scale
4) Take all the tall plants and group them together at the end of the tank with the filter and outlet to provide a little forest like area for the fish to swim through
5) Take that moss ball out and break it apart. Take the drift wood out and super glue bits of the moss ball to the drift wood, use thin patches or else it will look too fluffy when you put it back in. (this assumes the mass in the tank is wood and not stone - see number 9)
6) Take your shorter plants and put them on the right side of the tank away from the filter wall. This will give you the "triangle" look that is so appealing to so many with the shorter plants leading to the driftwood leading to the taller plants.
7) Remove some of the floating plants, to my eye they look too numerous and are likely blocking a lot of light from the rest of your plants. Personally I always balk at throwing away my floating plants, but the darn things multiple so quickly. You can get the right effect with floating plants only having a handful of them, you don't need (or want) to fill the whole tank
8) Personally I don't like blackwater setups, if you do then ignore this piece of advice, but for me I would take the wood out and boil it to get rid of tannins. Obviously if you choose to do this, do it before you attach moss.
9) Not entirely sure what I am looking at, is the giant mass in the middle all driftwood or is it stone?? If stone you either need to remove some of it or all of it, its too big and is blocking the flow of the tank, if its not all one piece try putting in smaller bits, if its wood then try turning it a bit, so its not so high up.
10) As others have suggested you should fill the tank up to within .5" of the rim. Basically high enough so that your floating plants are not quite touching the lid.

Again just my two cents, I will be the first to admit I am not great at aquascaping, but I happen to own the exact same tank and have thought a lot about how to get the most out of it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up completely rescaping it after posting, so it looks like this now! I'm a lot happier with it now.

tredford, Cinnamonamon and Pythos like this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadly View Post
Thanks for all the advice! I ended up completely rescaping it after posting, so it looks like this now! I'm a lot happier with it now.

Absolute world away from the original great job.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode