If this was your tank... - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
If this was your tank...

What would you put in it? I am looking for some suggestions on stocking of a UNS 60s riparium tank. Tank holds 10 gallons and is roughly 24"L x 14"D by 7"H, but realistically the water depth is more like 5.5-6" with substrate. I think the biggest issue will be finding fish that are not particularly prone to jumping given the shallow nature of the tank (I know all fish can, but hopefully some jump less than others). While shrimp would be a perfect fit, I already have shrimp tanks so am looking for something a bit different this time around.

Some of my initial thoughts include white clouds, small rainbowfish, a betta sorority, maybe peacock gudgeons or badis badis? Another tank has green neons, so I'm staying away from those, but I'd be open to a small shoal of other nano fish. Would appreciate all stocking ideas!

(please ignore the mishmash of equipment on the left side - tank is still cycling and alternate pipes and heater are on order)
ScrubbyDick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Nice tank! I think a group of 15 or so pygmy corydoras would be fun in there.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think a group of Endlers (not guppies) would be great.
You could get tigers or Japanese lyre tail blue.
Thelongsnail likes this.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a similar tank (ADA 60F). Pygmy cory are perfect for tanks like these because they will school in the water column from time to time and they're small enough that you can get a large group to help with schooling. Ember tetra might also be a good option as the dark orange will add a nice contrast. Betta and rainbows will both jump. Badis are awesome but require frozen or live foods. I've never kept gudgeons so can't really comment, but I never see them at my LFSs and am not a fan or ordering fish.

Tank looks great by the way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Japanese blue lyre tail are on my short list. Thanks for the suggestion! How many do you think the tank could hold? All males or a smaller mixed and see what happens?

Bump: Bump: Thanks! I was strongly considering a group of pygmy cories until I saw them at my LFS just hanging out. Not swimming, not really moving, just hanging. I wasn't sure if that would give me enough movement in the water column. It's very possible that the behavior was caused by stress, or not a large enough group as my LFS only had 5 or 6 of them. What size school would you recommend? I'm open to feeding badis, but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure that a pair would make the tank feel "full". I do love the way they look, though. Embers are a good idea. What do you keep in your 60F?
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:51 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattersea View Post
The Japanese blue lyre tail are on my short list. Thanks for the suggestion! How many do you think the tank could hold? All males or a smaller mixed and see what happens?

Bump: Bump: Thanks! I was strongly considering a group of pygmy cories until I saw them at my LFS just hanging out. Not swimming, not really moving, just hanging. I wasn't sure if that would give me enough movement in the water column. It's very possible that the behavior was caused by stress, or not a large enough group as my LFS only had 5 or 6 of them. What size school would you recommend? I'm open to feeding badis, but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure that a pair would make the tank feel "full". I do love the way they look, though. Embers are a good idea. What do you keep in your 60F?
Pygmy corys will hang out for a while, then school for a while, them go back to chillin, then swim up in the water column, etc... You'll definitely want another species in the tank as well to keep them schooled and on the move. I have pygmy cory, 2 lonely ember tetra, and a Betta in mine, but I have to keep a lid on the tank when I'm not in the room.

I would start with something like this, giving you room to add a "centerpiece" fish later. You could go with a trio of lyre tail instead of the ember tetra to start, but guppys may need more height in the tank.

Last edited by JJBTEXAS; 03-26-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: fixed errors
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestions! A betta would be nice, but unfortunately my tank isn't really coverable. Have you tried floaters to discourage jumping? I've read that it could work but haven't actually tried it myself.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:17 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions! A betta would be nice, but unfortunately my tank isn't really coverable. Have you tried floaters to discourage jumping? I've read that it could work but haven't actually tried it myself.

There aren't really any floaters I like that would fit well with this shallow of a tank. I built/cut lids out of sheets of lexan I bought at Lowes for when I travelled overseas for work to slow down evaporation

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I like endlers because the tank has 'action'
YMMV, however: 10 gallon
You could put roughly 10-15 males in there. If you drop in a female- then make sure to cut down 2 males per female.
Watching the 'live babies' is why I love livebearers.... they either survive and are beautiful, or become free fish food.

Bump: I will say- if you put 10 japanese endlers- im going to be jealous..... they are so funny and playful.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
I like endlers because the tank has 'action'
YMMV, however: 10 gallon
You could put roughly 10-15 males in there. If you drop in a female- then make sure to cut down 2 males per female.
Watching the 'live babies' is why I love livebearers.... they either survive and are beautiful, or become free fish food.
And then his tank would get overpopulated really quickly.

High Tech ADA Mini M + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba PF-120 HOB
Low Tech UNS 3N + ONF Flat Nano+ Azoo Mignon 60 HOB
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

If it was my tank, I wouldn't put any fish in it other than fish without a swim bladder ( like Gobies).
All fish jump due to breeding behaviors, fighting/sparing among con-specifics, or environmental factors.
Responsible fish-keepers know this and plan accordingly.
If you want schooling or shoaling type fish ( a nano-fish- from .5-1" would be the only fish applicable to your tank size and water depth) have a lid made of glass or plastic to specifications. There are places that do this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can you point me towards a resource to get a custom tank lid quote? It would cut down on evaporation as well as prevent jumping. I'm not 100% of going that route, but I didn't know it was even an option. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

I dont know of any in Tennessee, but call a local plate glass cutting business- they should be able to cut to your specifications.

You can either buy the glass sheets yourself ( Home Depot?) or buy from the business that cuts the glass. Not sure which would be cheaper.

Here is a place in Tennessee ( not sure how close to you) called Glasscages that you can get your glass from;- again, not sure if it is the best or cheapest option. They are a reputable aquarium glass company, however- been around awhile.

Glasscages.com - Custom Size Cut Sheets of Glass

Here is a link to "DIY Glass cutting materials:
NEHERP - Do It Yourself Glass Cutting Supplies For Terrariums

The other option is Plexiglass, which I am pretty sure can get done at Home Depot.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

I wouldn't bother with glass lid. Why bother setting up a shallow tank in the first place then? Shallow tanks looks great without a lid. And even then your lid would have to accompany your rocks sticking out of the tank plus your hardware.

I'd go with pygmy corys since they would love your sand substrate.

High Tech ADA Mini M + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba PF-120 HOB
Low Tech UNS 3N + ONF Flat Nano+ Azoo Mignon 60 HOB
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbyDick View Post
And then his tank would get overpopulated really quickly.
All males, no. With females, potentially.
If they were guppies (5 times the size of endlers at least). True endlers- they dont breed 'as' often.Fry become food, fast. I have even had cherry shrimp chase them down....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode