If this was your tank... - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Well, after watching the neons hide away and the pygmy cories dart madly behind things every time I walked by, I decided to add a larger dither fish in the form of a koi HMP betta. It has been a week and what a change he has made in the tank - all fish are now out swimming front and center all day long. Hopefully he won't jump - he seems pretty chill but you never know. He's not bothering my larger shrimp, but I'm guessing that all baby shrimp will become betta snacks. I'm happy there is now activity at all levels of the tank.
ScrubbyDick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah, I wouldn't get too attached to the Betta in a set-up like that.
DaveKS likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm not. I purposely did not buy a show quality betta because I figured things might go south without warning.

post #64 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you had gone with the endlers-
They love interaction (food). Kinda bummed you went with corys and a betta I thought you would have a beautiful endler tank and I could convinced my spouse that I can have a 8th tank... my new ones are dual color florescent blue and orange- they follow me from side to side when I walk by their tank... which means they get overfed- lol.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
7 Tanks and counting..... plus all these critters to feed critters
post #65 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I hear you - if I hadn't needed a space for my green neons while breaking down another tank I would have gone with the endlers. I've got another tank I'm looking to stock...still thinking endlers!
post #66 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tank Update

Just an update on this tank. I wound up adding a small wavemaker powerhead today to try to generate more flow on the right side of the tank as the rock island in the middle seems to impede flow across the tank. I tried to hide the unit down among some crypts and java fern - hopefully they grow in a bit more to disguise it further as it's not pretty. Not sure yet if it's too much flow - I had to direct the output mostly into the lava rock to not blast out the sand and plants.

The green neons and shrimp are thrilled about the extra current; the pygmy cories and betta not so much. Plant growth so far has been slow, but then again no real algae issues to speak of, either. After almost 4 months of sitting dormant, Homalomena Insignis is finally putting out some beautiful peachy pink leaves that will hopefully eventually cover the container for the palm. I've got three different fissidens species as well as wave moss. All are showing new growth and I'm seeing a couple of areas where they are attaching to the lava rock. Slow and steady, I guess.

post #67 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beautiful. I'm obviously late to stocking suggestions, but Shrimpery on Instagram has this same tank designed in a similar way(emergent growth) stocked with Oryzias latipes and it's another very striking tank, if you haven't seen it.
post #68 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I will have to check that out. I'm always looking for inspiration. Here are some updated photos. My green neons took this opportunity to photobomb a couple of shots:

I'm now on the hunt for a reddish or orangish plant that will do well in a lower light/low tech environment to contrast against the star grass. Thinking about AR mini. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Whatever I choose can't grow too tall.

Funny how I thought this tank would be mostly open substrate when I started and now it is slowly being filled in.

Last edited by shattersea; 07-16-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Editing image size
post #69 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Maybe some cryptocoryne albida red, pretty sure under your light level and light colored gravel it won’t grow to leggy and stretch for light, probably maintain at about 3-4”max height.

Last edited by DaveKS; 07-16-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Added content
post #70 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That might be a nice choice. Other crypts I have in the tank seem to be doing well, albeit with slow growth. I will have to try to hunt that one down.
post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Man, I wish I knew the secret to keeping dwarf cories alive. I've had pygmy cories for a few months now, and they are slowly dying off one by one. I've never had luck with them in any tank I have had. I wonder if I would do better with the standard sized version?
post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattersea View Post
Man, I wish I knew the secret to keeping dwarf cories alive. I've had pygmy cories for a few months now, and they are slowly dying off one by one. I've never had luck with them in any tank I have had. I wonder if I would do better with the standard sized version?
I never had any problems with 'normal' sized cories, I often kept a single one in a community tank, sometimes unfiltered, as a kid, and they would grow fat and happy, although not nearly as social on their own, obviously. Bad husbandry, I know, but a good example of how sturdy they were, for me.

Are the dwarfs getting enough food?
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One of my habrosus is struggling right now. I cant nail down the issue with him and unfortunately cannot quarantine, so don't frett it isnt only you. I am trying to make sure they are getting a balanced diet with focus on their requirements. Being carnivores primarily I am simply getting some blood worms and some brine shrimp to them hoping they will all fatten up. That with some vegetable matter should be good I would say, plus some mixed foods flake and pellets misc.
I hope it turn around for you! Just try to keep water quality up and check for eating patterns, are they actually going to the food etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I feed them sinking pellets, flake, crab bites, and more. Sometimes they seem interested, and sometimes they don't. While a few of them occasionally school with the tetras, as a group they haven't been particularly active since I put them in this tank. I don't think they like the shallow dimensions as they stay hidden most of the time. Given a do-over, I probably wouldn't choose them again for this tank.
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattersea View Post
Of the 3 dwarf cories, pygmaeus were the only ones that didn't do well for me. I particularly like the habrosus, but have had hastatus do well also.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode