If this was your tank... - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Plants are doing ok, but not great. Mixed results so far - I'm experiencing a bit of buce melt. Java fern and crypts look good. Myriophyllum sp. ‘Mini Guyana’ totally melted away. Probably should have waited to add it once the tank was established. Lagenandra Meeboldii Red is putting out new leaves. Fissidens are doing well. Star grass is putting out new leaves and melting at the same time. I'm not sure whether I should chalk it all up to the cycling process and fluctuating levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, or if I have something else going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Most aquatic plants are farmed emersed and go through a melting phase while they convert to submersed growth in the aquarium so maybe that's your issues with some of the plants? I've never had buce melt back before though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm wondering if they are adjusting to a higher light environment due to the shallow tank. Some species look good. Brownie blue is being temperamental.

post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Might find a plexiglass fabricator and have them make a 3 sided extension sort of like this for 3 sided jump guard.

Maybe even have them build in some small soil trays along back water line and plant some shore vines like hydrocoytle japan or golden pond penny.

https://tetra.convar.com/c/8522-larg...ptoaquaset.jpg

Some Ludwigia Sedioides floating on top would look nice. Would probably even flower.
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
plant some shore vines like hydrocoytle japan or golden pond penny.
I've got the hydrocoytle japan already planted - it is transitioning right now to emersed - a couple of spots melted away but I have one patch that is beginning to show new growth.

Quote:
Some Ludwigia Sedioides floating on top would look nice.
That is a great idea. I'm toying between that (my ph might be too high for it), or maybe Azolla Caroliniana or red root floaters or salvinia cucullata if I can find some.

Last edited by shattersea; 04-08-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Added info
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This tank is maturing along. Buce melt has stopped and they are putting on new leaves. A few other plants aren't happy about the ammonia I keep adding to maintain the biological filter until I get fish, but that will stop soon as my tank is finally cycled!

Still making fish decisions, but for sure I'm going with a small shoal of pygmy cories. Not sure how many to get - 9? 12? I'm going to order these soon and continue to think about what else might work.

I'm still contemplating endlers. I can't seem to choose a color variant. I'm drawn to magenta, or staeck, or yellow tigers. Not sure what will look best against light sand. Another option on the short list is gold ring danios.
post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattersea View Post
This tank is maturing along. Buce melt has stopped and they are putting on new leaves. A few other plants aren't happy about the ammonia I keep adding to maintain the biological filter until I get fish, but that will stop soon as my tank is finally cycled!

Still making fish decisions, but for sure I'm going with a small shoal of pygmy cories. Not sure how many to get - 9? 12? I'm going to order these soon and continue to think about what else might work.

I'm still contemplating endlers. I can't seem to choose a color variant. I'm drawn to magenta, or staeck, or yellow tigers. Not sure what will look best against light sand. Another option on the short list is gold ring danios.
If you're going to go with pygmy cories, I would just max out on those. There behaviour really picks up in larger groups

Maybe start with 15 and watch how fast/slow your nitrates climb.

That's what I plan to do with my shallow tank once I move the Betta to a new tank.

post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That is such a cool video. I've had mixed luck with dwarf cories in the past - hopefully this time they are happy and healthy and stick around.
post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattersea View Post
That is such a cool video. I've had mixed luck with dwarf cories in the past - hopefully this time they are happy and healthy and stick around.
Where are you ordering from? Pygmy cory can be delicate because of their small size. IMO, it's much better to get them from an LFS once they're had them for a couple days, even better if they quarantine.

post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think I'm going to order from The Wet Spot. My LFS doesn't seem to stock them regularly, and they have been so-so about special orders in the past.
post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The cories have settled in well. I've had 15 for a week and haven't lost any yet. They pretty much hang out on the substrate in one corner of the tank but are slowly starting to explore more. I also broke down another tank of mine that had green neons in it and added them to this one. I think the shallow tank can be intimidating to fish - they are out swimming around until I pass by. Once they see shadows fall across the tank they dart into hiding.

Plants are doing well so far. My neo is flowering:

Here's an updated tank shot:

JJBTEXAS likes this.
post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's awesome news! Hopefully they get more adventurous for you. Having the green neons should definitely help.

edit: needs bigger pictures!

post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Trying a bigger picture:

Last edited by shattersea; 04-23-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Enlarging image
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Any updates? How are the cory and plants?

post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So far so good. The crypts have really started to take off, as has the star grass. Lagenandra Meeboldii Red melted away. I don't think it liked being bumped around by the cories. I added Diplidis Diandra and the jury is still out on that. A couple of stems melted but a couple more are doing ok, so we'll see. Seems like it is happier in the places it gets more light. I've got three different varieties of Fissidens, all of which are showing new growth, as is the Wave moss. My buce are doing well too and putting out new leaves. Oddly, java fern "India" is doing well on one side of the tank, and not so well on the other (leaves are developing holes, some yellowing). I've never had good luck with java fern. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there. No algae to speak of yet (knock on wood).

I started out with 15 pygmy cories, and now have 14 as one got stuck to the filter inflow overnight and I didn't find him until the morning. :-( I've got 8 green neons, which hide most of the time. I'm considering getting some sort of larger dither fish - maybe a honey gourami? The cories are out most of the time unless I pass by the tank and then they scatter. The neons only come out at dinnertime. I also added about 10 painted fire cherry shrimp. I thought they'd hid in the buce, but they aren't the least bit shy. After initial curiosity, the neons are leaving them alone so far.

Last edited by shattersea; 05-12-2019 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Picture not displaying

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode