PTrader: (0/0%)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Excellent!

That is one amazing, sleek lid.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Those are amazing lids. I built this aquarium to be viewed from the top down, so the stand is slightly lower than usual. All I'd be looking at is a lid, not the fish. I will consider them for my other tanks, though - they look awesome!

Last edited by shattersea; 04-01-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: correct spelling

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattersea View Post
Those are amazing lids. I build this aquarium to be viewed from the top down, so the stand is slightly lower than usual. All I'd be looking at is a lid, not the fish. I will consider them for my other tanks, though - they look awesome!
Yeah, sorry, so impressed by this lid I was thinking more for myself then you.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm impressed with it too. :-)
Discusluv likes this.
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:26 AM
Algae Grower

nice tank! I really like the above water growth
add my vote for either ember tetras or tiger endlers
you'd be able to get a nice little school of either species in your set up
not too sure how well the tiger endlers will stand out against the white sand. I know there's a lot of dark rock in your tank, but you had mentioned its more of a top down viewing angle so you might be looking at fish over sand a lot of the time. I keep mine with dark substrate to enhance the contrast so I don't know if the white sand will wash out the color as much as I'm imagining, but its just a thought to consider. i'd go with all males so you'll get all the amazing color without the worries of overpopulation
I think ember tetras would contrast nicely with everything in your tank. since you don't have red in your tank (aside from that piece of equipment) the embers will really stand out
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The red in the equipment is going away as soon as my new heater arrives. I tossed in an old one for cycling the tank while I wait. I agree that red would be good in the tank. The sand isn't quite as white as is appears in the photo. I'd have preferred a darker sand, but I didn't find a good source. If anyone knows of a darker sand I could maybe mix in, I'd be open to it. This is closer to what it looks like.

post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could always go with Magenta endlers as well... that would stand out like crazy against both your rocks AND your sand! but I think tigers or japanese blue would work just fine.

There is a guy on this forum that is selling them as we speak! check out the WTB section at my post

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-02-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added info
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I went to look at magenta endlers, which then sent me down a rabbit hole of endler variants. If you haven't already, check out some of the strains by Carlos Diez. Wish they were available in the U.S.! So many cool fish...so little room....
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:06 AM
Algae Grower

My vote goes to killifish
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I went to look at magenta endlers, which then sent me down a rabbit hole of endler variants. If you haven't already, check out some of the strains by Carlos Diez. Wish they were available in the U.S.! So many cool fish...so little room....
I had not looked at Carlos- wow. I could easily sit on youtube and look at Hybrid endlers for hours! lol
This is the variant im working on now (and same pattern in orange). Hopefully they will be perfect in 6 months or so.

Im torn as im sure my fish have low self esteem. -I dont like you because your black spot it too big. I dont like you because you have a spot of yellow....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 5.40.00 AM.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	879959  

Cinnamonamon likes this.
post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseRivera View Post
My vote goes to killifish
killifish will 100% jump

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
This is the variant im working on now (and same pattern in orange).
These are beautiful! Great job!

Quote:
killifish will 100% jump
I was thinking the same thing. There are several varieties of killifish I like, but I nixed those right off the list pretty quickly due to the lack of a lid.
post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Co2?

I'm kicking around adding Co2 to the tank. Think there would be a benefit given that I already have so much surface area + shallow water?
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:05 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I'm kicking around adding Co2 to the tank. Think there would be a benefit given that I already have so much surface area + shallow water?
How are your plants growing without it? I wouldn't add it for the reasons you already stated and the fact it's just 1 more thing that can go wrong.
livebearerlove likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode