If this was your tank... - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
where you at in TN? I can cut glass and I'm an hour south of nashville.

Pygmy corys are awesome. We have 10 in our guppy tank.
ScrubbyDick and Discusluv like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 on endlers, of course any fish can jump, but I've read on a few sources now that true endlers are unlikely to. I've certainly never had mine jump and they've been in a rimless tank for several months now. Just make sure not to fill all the way to the top, the water line on the first photo looks perfect.

I'd stick with all males, endlers may breed more slowly than guppies, but they do still breed at a fair rate. Mine don't eat their fry either, but I don't know if that's the case for all of them. I'm not sure if Japanese Lyretails are hybrids or not, but if they are and you want a "pure" endler, then I'd absolutely recommend Blue Star endlers. I have them in my main tank (journal in my signature) and they're lovely little fish.
JJBTEXAS and livebearerlove like this.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck joe View Post
I can cut glass and I'm an hour south of nashville.
Thanks for the offer - I'll touch base if I decide to go that route.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
+1 on endlers, of course any fish can jump, but I've read on a few sources now that true endlers are unlikely to. I've certainly never had mine jump and they've been in a rimless tank for several months now. Just make sure not to fill all the way to the top, the water line on the first photo looks perfect.

I'd stick with all males, endlers may breed more slowly than guppies, but they do still breed at a fair rate. Mine don't eat their fry either, but I don't know if that's the case for all of them. I'm not sure if Japanese Lyretails are hybrids or not, but if they are and you want a "pure" endler, then I'd absolutely recommend Blue Star endlers. I have them in my main tank (journal in my signature) and they're lovely little fish.
I hadn't really considered the possible difference in behavior between a "pure" endler and a hybrid. Thanks for the food for thought. I'll check out the Blue Stars!

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@shattersea I'm not sure there's a huge amount of behavioural difference, although there's anecdotal evidence that male endlers are less aggressive with each other than guppies. I've certainly noticed it with my own endlers vs. my family's guppies. They also seem to be less delicate than a lot of guppies/guppy hybrids as they're not as overbred, but this is purely anecdotal too.

The only solid difference is that true endlers are a little smaller and have a lower bioload, so you could have a few more.

That said, I do think it's good to have reserves of wild-type fish species being kept by hobbyists. Although hybrids are lovely, there's no way to get back to the original types once they've all been hybridised.

Either way, please do update us when you stock the tank, whatever you choose, the tank looks gorgeous already and I desperately wish I could get one in the UK

Journal

post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you decide on endlers, take a look at the yellow tiger endlers. I have a group of 9 blue star endler males in a 20g tank which are pretty fish but I find them a bit dark. I've just added a single male/female pair of the yellow tiger endlers to a Spec V tank to try them and I really like the brighter coloration on this male. As they are a young pair, I'm currently waiting to see if they will breed but may add another pair in the near future. I have mine with some habrosus cories, which you could also add for some action along the bottom. The endlers will tend to stay nearer the top.

I'll also add a plug for the peacock gudgeons. I have 3 of these alone in a 5.5g tank and love this fish. Seriously Fish indicates that they may be jumpers and my tank does have a lid. But I haven't noticed any behavior like that. You could try a few of these, and still add some tiger endlers as the gudgeons are said to be peaceful with many other smaller fish. They do like some sort of cave structure (I have a coconut shell and a piece of driftwood whose bottom forms a cave.)

Here is a species spotlight video from Rachel O'Leary on this fish

post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback. Whatever fish I choose needs to be light/bright colored to stand out against the black lava rock and black background. I think a darker fish would be easily lost. I do have a cave structure built into the rockwork which might work perfectly for a gudgeon.
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:17 AM
Algae Grower

Just kidding but have you considered an Archer Fish? Itís a beautiful tank design thanks for posting!
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john borr View Post
Just kidding but have you considered an Archer Fish? Itís a beautiful tank design thanks for posting!

That thought always crosses my mind on tanks like this. Of course they get too big and too likely to jump (hence you were kidding) but how cool would it be to release some crickets on that mountain and watch the Archers blast them off!
john borr likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:37 PM
Algae Grower

I think minimalism goes good in nano tanks, i would do just a single betta, with some shrimp or snails.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
What about sparkling gourami?
Pythos likes this.

post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

what about a school of ricefish? I saw cory on aquarium coop have them and their eyes are this cool electric blue. they're super small so you could have a larger school.
All links are from google images.
Like an orange rice fish: Orange rice fish

Or maybe the white cloud mountain minnow

I eventually want to get some emperor tetras and I think they'd show nice in a tank with a black background.

Ooh! and if you add gold backed shrimp or cherry red shrimp to contrast with like an emperor tetra, that'd be nice

Chi1013

post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:48 PM
Algae Grower

I recently got some rasbora maculata, amazing little fish and in the right conditions shows some great colours. In the same tank as pygmy Cory's.
Two fish which I added on a whim and was pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:49 PM
Algae Grower

omg how could I forget to add some noodles! java loaches are my faves! they'd love the long tank and with the sand substrate!

Here's one of mine,

They are super smart cause they look like they wear glasses. so they are smart

Chi1013

post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattersea View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Whatever fish I choose needs to be light/bright colored to stand out against the black lava rock and black background. I think a darker fish would be easily lost. I do have a cave structure built into the rockwork which might work perfectly for a gudgeon.
That why I said tiger endlers! or lapanese lyre tail.... super bright....
(im going to push endlers... because i think they are a perfect compact fish)
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm so appreciative of all of the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

Quote:
rice fish
This is a great suggestion - unfortunately, from what I've read they are known to be jumpers....

Quote:
emperor tetras
I love the way these look - I think they will get too large for my tank, though. The scale will be off when they reach adulthood. I would definitely consider them in a larger tank.

Quote:
rasbora maculata
This is a definite possibility - I've seem some look beautiful, and some look washed out. Do they need blackwater to bring out their best?

Quote:
java loaches
This is an interesting addition I hadn't considered. I wonder if I've got room for them? I'll have to do some more research on them.

Quote:
white cloud mountain minnow
These are still on my 'maybe' list.

Quote:
tiger endlers
These are still on the short list. I like the spade tail version. Need to find a reliable supplier of them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode