Dry start Spec V question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
JDL

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry start Spec V question

I was having trouble maintaining humidity and heat in my Spec V while performing a dry start. I have sealed the bottom inlet to the filter compartment, and am wondering if I can fill the filter area and add a heater to it? This way it can stay warm and the humidity can enter the main tank through the primary filter grate at the top. I might need to add an airstone to move the water around and generate humidity a bit. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
I was having trouble maintaining humidity and heat in my Spec V while performing a dry start. I have sealed the bottom inlet to the filter compartment, and am wondering if I can fill the filter area and add a heater to it? This way it can stay warm and the humidity can enter the main tank through the primary filter grate at the top. I might need to add an airstone to move the water around and generate humidity a bit. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Humidity and heat are directly correlated. I would suggest putting the tank on a seedling start mat to keep the humidity higher, if there is any sort of leak you could end up damaging your heater and the tank if you try to seal it up.

Tom Barr doesn't even cover his tanks, apparently he just sprays them twice a day to keep the humidity up. Do your plants seem to be suffering?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
JDL

Thanks, I was trying to stick with what I have (spent enough on tank and heater). I have a heating pad I could use, but wasn’t sure about sitting a tank with those edges on it. My house gets down to around 62 at night. The plants have only been in a couple of days, I was just trying to preempt any issues. S. Repens in eco complete in a stock setup if that matters. Heater is a 50w Cobalt. Thanks again

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode