My First Planted Nano Betta Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By vietfella

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First Planted Nano Betta Tank

Started my first planted nano betta tank back on February 20, wanted to start my tank journal.

I picked up a Topfin Essentials 5.5g tank from Petsmart.

It came with a TopFin 10g HOB, and led hood. Since I was new to the forum so I have been trying to cycle my tank for the last few weeks.

My plants were some Anubias Nana and Anubias Frazeri and some Marimo Moss balls.

Plants: Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Crypt, Anacharis

My hardscape is with slate and spiderwood from LFS

Substrate: CarribSea ECO-Complete

Pressurized CO2: Aquatek Mini Regulator with inline FABCO NV-55-18 Needle valve and 20Oz Paintball Tank

Fertilizer: NilocG Thrive and ThriveS

Bump: The kit lighting seemed weak for plants I upgraded to a 16" Finnex Fugeray Planted +

Bump: Added more plants:

Got some Java Fern and Java Moss from a friend

Bump: Decided to do a fish-in cycle and added my Betta

Last edited by vietfella; 03-21-2019 at 05:19 AM. Reason: adding more photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Decided to reduce the light and added in some water spangle floater (salvina minima)

Bump: Got the itch for more plants
added in Amazon Sword, Anacharis, Microsword, more Anubias and Java Fern and Crypt

But the tank looked too busy so did some rescaping, moving plants to foreground, mid, and background by type

Bump: Figured that my plants would fare better if I added Co2.

Decided to add a Paintball Co2 setup using a Aquatek Mini Regulator with a 20oz tank and glass diffuser.

Also decided my rhizome plants would fare better not being in the substrate, decided to get some spiderwood driftwood to attach them to.

Last edited by vietfella; 03-21-2019 at 05:13 AM. Reason: added pic of bubble counter setup
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Decided my Betta needed more tank mates and since my tank is heavily planted I could overstock with heavier bioload.

I currently have one Halfmoon Betta, one Nerite Snail, one Amano Shirmp (haven't seen him since I rescaped), one Ghost shrimp ( had more but my betta got hungry and decided he needed a snack on a few) and my recent additions are some pygmy corys

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question regarding water parameters

Given that my tank is heavily planted for a 5.5gallon, is it normal to have 0 nitrates?

I am fairly overstocked with a betta, 8 pygmy corys, 1 nerite and unknown number of ghost shrimp (last only saw 1) but had about 8 ghost shrimp. My betta has been keeping his tankmates stock in check by turning them into snacks.

I have been feeding them betta pellets and frozen brine shrimp and shrimp wafers but can't seem to get my nitrates to increase.

Haven't done any water changes in a week. Should i get rid of some salvina minima since I believe they are absorbing all the nitrates.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:00 PM

Has your tank already cycled? What are your ammonia and nitrite readings? I've seen this happen in tanks with low bio-load that are heavily planted, but you have a really high bioload (I'd even consider moving the cory school since they tend to do better in larger tanks). Generally low nitrates aren't a huge deal if you are dosing with ferts that have some nitrogen source in them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I believe my tank has cycled.

my readings have been 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates with a PH of 7.6 using the API master test kit.

I've been dosing Thrive once a week. Given that I should have a high bioload I don't seem to see any spikes in ammonia or nitrates. But my salvinia minima have been growing quickly even though i've been thinning them to half at the end of the week.

I am planning to upgrade to a 10gallon which should be better for my fish.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Upgraded my tank to 10gallon aqueon from petco.

Rescaped with aquarium sand and moved all biomedia from the 5.5 gallon. Need to upgrade lighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:10 AM

I am a newcomer to Nano Betta Tank, thank you for sharing. I just invested in a desktop aquarium after reading a lot of articles about betta care.

This aquarium is very popular among Betta fish owners. I bought a heater and a thermometer so I can make sure the water is warm enough for my Betta fish. (The ideal temperature is 75-81 degrees Fahrenheit).

The only problem I use with this kit is the filter. It blows my male Betta in every direction. It frustrated my Betta fish and I was worried that he would be hurt by the intake. If you have Betta fish (especially male Betta, usually not very strong swimmers), you definitely need a pre-filtered sponge. The pre-filter sponge is installed on the outside of the water inlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20190403095632.png
Views:	6
Size:	776.9 KB
ID:	879941  

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryvan View Post
I am a newcomer to Nano Betta Tank, thank you for sharing. I just invested in a desktop aquarium after reading a lot of articles about betta care.

This aquarium is very popular among Betta fish owners. I bought a heater and a thermometer so I can make sure the water is warm enough for my Betta fish. (The ideal temperature is 75-81 degrees Fahrenheit).

The only problem I use with this kit is the filter. It blows my male Betta in every direction. It frustrated my Betta fish and I was worried that he would be hurt by the intake. If you have Betta fish (especially male Betta, usually not very strong swimmers), you definitely need a pre-filtered sponge. The pre-filter sponge is installed on the outside of the water inlet.
I have prefilter sponges on my HOB filter and water pump, which have reduced my water flow. I tried putting a DIY sponge filter at the outlet but it eventually falls off show I just removed it completely.

Since I added floating plants my male betta likes to hangout in the roots, or he seems to hang out near the bottom with the corys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode