• 2 Post By Willcooper
  • 1 Post By Pythos
  • 1 Post By Br1ghtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Feedback and questions on new 10 gal planted freshie

Iíve had my tank for around a month now and currently have an AI prime for lighting and a separately housed area for my filter(a carbon sack and foam) and heater(set to 76-78). Itís currently housed with 4 neon tetras 3 albino cory catfish, 3 snails and 2 Amano shrimp. Iíve attached some pictures.

My question is, my hairgrass and water sprites in the back seem to be collecting some sort of film and funk on the leaves. Iím not sure this is algae but I do t know what it is. Also donít think my plants look to healthy. Iím not sure if these water spited are not built for a tank my size. Looking for advice or any feedback sorry, new here. Also my water sprites seem to be growing roots above the water. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Pull the rhizome of the anubias out of the substrate. It should be either tied to something like a rock or piece of wood or just bury the roots of the plant. The roots youíre talking about from the water sprite are aerial roots and are normal for aquatic plants. Hairgrass takes its time to get rooted and then eventually start spreading. With no CO2 this will take much longer. Hairgrass and finer leaf plants are notorious for collecting debris. Also almost every plant will go through an exclamation period when being introduced to new water parameters. Usually the old growth will start dying as the new roots start growing and then the new growth will come out of the top or out of a side shoot of the plant. I didnít see you talk about any fertilizing. If you are not familiar go to the fertilization section of the forum and read the stickies at the top.

Pythos and Br1ghtman like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
Pull the rhizome of the anubias out of the substrate. It should be either tied to something like a rock or piece of wood or just bury the roots of the plant. The roots youíre talking about from the water sprite are aerial roots and are normal for aquatic plants. Hairgrass takes its time to get rooted and then eventually start spreading. With no CO2 this will take much longer. Hairgrass and finer leaf plants are notorious for collecting debris. Also almost every plant will go through an exclamation period when being introduced to new water parameters. Usually the old growth will start dying as the new roots start growing and then the new growth will come out of the top or out of a side shoot of the plant. I didnít see you talk about any fertilizing. If you are not familiar go to the fertilization section of the forum and read the stickies at the top.

Great advice! Thanks for posting that!
Willcooper likes this.

Yeah... I name my fish...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- "Dot"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:08 PM
Algae Grower

In addition to willcooper's advice, how long are your lights on?
If your not adding fertilizer you might have than on to long. If longer than 8hrs I would reduce.

Plus getting kh/gh, nitrates levels might help as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great info guys thank you! And I didnít know that about my second plant I definitely will.

I am dozing with a liquid fertilizer once a week and have have a CO2 diffuser I am setting up as soon as my local shop has more co2 cartridges in stock. As far as the levels as well, Iíll need to buy some test kits.

Cheers all!!

Willcooper likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode