My first planted Nano Tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
In the wild, temp varies.... night/day/seasonal.

I had the same potential issue- tank was in a guest bedroom, we didnt run aircon during the day, and at night we ran it.

I ended up finding out water parameters were a miss... kh/gh and pH swings that stressed them... but it wasnt the temp for sure. Same tank, 2 months later was pristine.

But in the wild if it is too hot they can swim deeper where it is cooler, and if it is too cold they can go closer to the surface. Trapped in a 12" tank they are kind of limited.

I will take some water home tonight and see how it measures out.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
But in the wild if it is too hot they can swim deeper where it is cooler, and if it is too cold they can go closer to the surface. Trapped in a 12" tank they are kind of limited.
I will take some water home tonight and see how it measures out.
In theory... they also move away from predators too... often leaving them in the warm shallows. I cant image temp is the issue... I have the fluval (2.5 gallon) and it fluctuates from room temp of 70-85 all day long depending on the day. I successfully breed shrimp and raise fry in it. (commercial buildings wont risk the building going above that or that means there would be mold on the carpet- so the air con is decreased, but its not completely off. I used to own commercial buildings- just turning the HVAC 'off' is not an option).

I would approach your water parameters again
My birthing/shrimp tank 2.5 gallon:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5335.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	880279  

post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So taking temperature out of the mix I do have some water issues. It seems like I always have problems after the weekend.

So this weekend I put my little desktop fan blowing at the top of the tank to help with any kind of temperature change. But that apparently kicked up the evaporation. I had to add top off water to the tank as soon as I got in this morning. My water pump was running dry. I probably had to add around 80 ounces of water to the tank to get it back where the level should be.

On Friday one of my glass shrimp came out of hiding. He swam around the tank for a while and foraged off some of the plants. But this morning when I came in he was dead in the corner of the tank. I may have also lost the mystery snail I put in last week. I found him on a rock this AM but he was not moving around. So I picked him up to see if he was dead but his trap door is shut. I dropped him into the tank where I can see him. If he has not moved by this afternoon I will pull him from the tank too.

So having a tank with so many hiding places is good and bad. Bad part is I think all the shrimp and the snail I have lost were all hidden when they died. Since I can't get them out of the tank I figure they have fouled the water. I had to replant one of my Temple Compactas this morning as it was floating. That disturbed the gravel and I ended up with a bunch of detritus worms floating around. I know they normally show up when there is food for them. Since I rarely feed this tank I think they are eating all the fallen shrimp and fish.

I am going to do multiple water changes this week to see if I can change the condition of the water.

Tim

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode