My first planted Nano Tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
@TDSapp

Looks like your wood has a nice white fuzz too it- keep an eye on that as it can mean your water table could soon be thrown off depending on how the wood was treated. If it gets worse- make sure to check your water parameters.

I lived in countries that caused on wood, and soon enough I spent all day adjusting the hardness, etc. Learned a lesson about the source of wood and stone and what It can leach into the already unstable tap water.

Last edited by livebearerlove; 03-19-2019 at 04:59 PM. Reason: I hit enter too fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
Question for everyone...

Since both of the plants are on the drift wood I am assuming that tabs in the gravel will do nothing for them. So do I need to add some kind of liquid ferts in the water for them? If so, what is suggested.

Tim
Root tabs will release nutrients into the water column. The rate of release Is hard to predict though. Liquid or dry fertilizer is much more controllable.

I may come across as a know-it-all. In reality, I have no idea.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
Root tabs will release nutrients into the water column. The rate of release Is hard to predict though. Liquid or dry fertilizer is much more controllable.
I do not have any tabs in the gravel yet. I have to get a plant that needs to be buried before I use any tabs or anything.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK, I have a couple questions now. I did a water test today and came up with the following results.

Ph 6.8
Ammonia (NH3/NH4) 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 0
dGH 142.4 ppm (8 drops)
dKH 53.4 ppm (3 drops)

So I have no fish, shrimp or any other animals in the tank. I use the Seachem Advance as a fert every morning when I get in to work.

Would the fert cause any jumps in the Ammonia or Nitrites? I know that the plants consume Nitrates and with nothing but plants in the tank I could see where I would be reading 0 ppm.

Should I assume that either the Cycle has completed, or that the cycle has not started at all? The only thing I have added to the tank has been prime when I add water, and the Seachem Advance ferts. So no ammonia or fish food...

I have had two of the plants in the tank for a bit over one week, and the other two plants have been about five days. I am seeing some growth on the Anubias plants and nothing in the tank has melted or is turning colors. I am going on the assumption that everything is going great with the plants and should not be in a panic for anything. The water parameters look good to me.

I would like to drop a few shrimp into the tank soon but don't want to rush into it.

Tim
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I added some Temple Compacta to my today. Figured that I would add it to this thread so I would not forget what all I have.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:51 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
OK, I have a couple questions now. I did a water test today and came up with the following results.

Ph 6.8

Ammonia (NH3/NH4) 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrates 0

dGH 142.4 ppm (8 drops)

dKH 53.4 ppm (3 drops)

So I have no fish, shrimp or any other animals in the tank. I use the Seachem Advance as a fert every morning when I get in to work.

Would the fert cause any jumps in the Ammonia or Nitrites? I know that the plants consume Nitrates and with nothing but plants in the tank I could see where I would be reading 0 ppm.

Should I assume that either the Cycle has completed, or that the cycle has not started at all? The only thing I have added to the tank has been prime when I add water, and the Seachem Advance ferts. So no ammonia or fish food...

I have had two of the plants in the tank for a bit over one week, and the other two plants have been about five days. I am seeing some growth on the Anubias plants and nothing in the tank has melted or is turning colors. I am going on the assumption that everything is going great with the plants and should not be in a panic for anything. The water parameters look good to me.

I would like to drop a few shrimp into the tank soon but don't want to rush into it.

Tim
Flourish Advance is really just for starting new root growth. Not much of a plant fertilizer. Hence your 0 Nitrates and shouldn't affect Ammonia/Nitrates.

BTW, plants also consume ammonia. Debatable as to whether plants prefer it over nitrates. My opionion is they do.

By now I'm sure your tank has cycled. Have you added any shrimp to the mix? Go slow and as long as plants are growing you should be fine.

Also your dKh/ dGh look good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld738 View Post
By now I'm sure your tank has cycled. Have you added any shrimp to the mix? Go slow and as long as plants are growing you should be fine.

Also your dKh/ dGh look good.

I have added shrimp, a snail and one other plant since I posted last. I added five ghost shrimp but have only see two of them in the last few days. I also added five Red Cherry Shrimp and yesterday I saw three of them. The lady at PetCo told me that they have a 30 day warranty on their livestock and that if they die I only have to bring in the bodies and they will replace them. Problem is having so much stuff in the tank I can't find any of the missing shrimp.

Any how... Plants are growing and the shrimp seem happy.

Now if I could only get rid of the stupid micro bubbles!

Tim
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I found one of my shrimp today. A RCS decided to desk dive on me and I found him all dried out and crispy today. I will at least get to replace him.

So I can see right now 3 RCS and two glass shrimp in the tank along with the snail. I dropped in a little bit of the banana I was eating today and the glass shrimp went crazy for it. They were actually fighting over it until they got it into two parts. Here they are, wanting more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_114641.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	879607
Cinnamonamon likes this.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank Update...

I wanted to post a before and after photo so I can remember the changes.

Here is the tank on 3-22-19

Here is the tank today 4-1-19

The water is deeper and the Temple Compacta at the back of the tank is now out of the water. I am about to cut it and replant it. The single branch of Temple Compacta at the front left of the tank has also picked up and grown quite well. It hard to tell but the Anubis at the left side of the tank has also shot out a couple new leaves and is taller, and the moss on the right hand of the tank has probably doubled in size and thickness.

Tim
celadon likes this.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can definitely see the difference!
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:36 AM
Algae Grower

Nice!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Another update... I know, it's only been 3 days since the last update.

But today I did my first lawn maintenance. I took the temple compacta and cut it down and moved it around.

livebearerlove and pauld738 like this.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I may have to take the tank down and take it home.

This weekend was hard on the tank. I left work around 2 p.m. on Friday and got to the office at 5 a.m. on Monday. (Uggg... I know right... I hate mornings) I turn on the night light for a while and then go to the white lights about 30 minutes later. There are two or three shrimp out on the rocks and wood sleeping.

Turns out one of them was not sleeping... It was dead, and there was also another dead one on the gravel, and one head first into the foam on the overflow. All three were dead. The white algae\fungus is back onto the drift wood and my snail is missing.

Yesterday during the day I saw one or two of the RCS and only two of the glass shrimp. Today I have only seen one of each. This may change as it is early. As I have said before my RCS are teenagers and don't normally get out of bed til after lunch.

So here is what I think the problem is. I work at the head quarters for a company and we are not a 24 hour operation here. So at 6 p.m. they turn the air conditioning up to save money, then around 6 a.m. they turn it back down. Today I am going to try and find out what the temperature is set to on nights and weekends. I do know that during the day the tank is normally around 75 degrees as that is what the heater is set to. But this morning when I came in the tank was at 79. That is after sitting over night with no AC. The weekend I think it gets even hotter, and it has longer to creep up. I know that the shrimp will do "OK" up to 80 to 82 degrees but I am worrying about the temperature swing from 75 to 82 or higher over the weekend. The summer will be even worse. I have came in here to work on the weekend before and it felt like it was sweltering. Nothing like coming into work and sweating while wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

Over night it does not seem to be a major problem because I don't think it has the time to really swing much. Maybe this weekend I will aim my fan to over the top of the tank. Only have to worry about evaporation then. I already have to add around 64 ounces of water to top off the evaporation after the weekend.

Oh well... at least the plants are growing. Even the crypt has already put out a new leaf. I read that it would probably melt away and then start new leaves once it acclimated. But the existing leaves are looking great and a new one is popped up already.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, so I got to talk to facilities. The AC is only ran from 5 a.m. to 4 p.m. M-F. On Saturday it is ran from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sundays it is just off. So I guess I noticed it this weekend because this was the hottest weekend since I set this tank up. Makes me worry because it only got to 80 this weekend. What is it going to do when it's 110 outside?

Tim
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Ok, so I got to talk to facilities. The AC is only ran from 5 a.m. to 4 p.m. M-F. On Saturday it is ran from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sundays it is just off. So I guess I noticed it this weekend because this was the hottest weekend since I set this tank up. Makes me worry because it only got to 80 this weekend. What is it going to do when it's 110 outside?

Tim
In the wild, temp varies.... night/day/seasonal.

I had the same potential issue- tank was in a guest bedroom, we didnt run aircon during the day, and at night we ran it.

I ended up finding out water parameters were a miss... kh/gh and pH swings that stressed them... but it wasnt the temp for sure. Same tank, 2 months later was pristine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode