Betta Hates Light - Fluval Spec V - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Betta Hates Light - Fluval Spec V

Everything was fine when I had anacharis floating on the surface of most of the tank, but my other plants weren't making much progress, so I trimmed it back.

Now, my betta hates the light. Turn on the light, and after a few tours of his domain he will go to his new discovery after the trimming - letting himself get sucked against the filter intake (no worry I have fin protection there) and sit there. Once in a great while he'll make a tour of the tank, but otherwise he will stay there.

If I turn the lights off or turn on the blue night light, he is suddenly the life of the party and is cruising all over the tank, high and low, and generally having a jolly time.

Has anyone else had issues with the stock light on a Spec V beimg too much for a fish like a betta and what remedies have you found that work. I do miss seeing him swim around, but my plants need light!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I've not had this issue with my bettas, but I do not own that style tank.
Sounds like he feels insecure with the lack of hiding spots after the trim back.
Photo of the tank?
Is there anything buffering the outflow of the filter? Or holes poked in the line to the outflow to reduce it?
Water params?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I've not had this issue with my bettas, but I do not own that style tank.
Sounds like he feels insecure with the lack of hiding spots after the trim back.
Photo of the tank?
Is there anything buffering the outflow of the filter? Or holes poked in the line to the outflow to reduce it?
Water params?
He has hiding spots. The outflow has a sponge on it slowing the flow and he is fine with it, sometimes putting his nose right against the outflow.

The anacharis is already starting to eliminate his ability to paste himself against the filter, but today he has decided to go beserk and swim quickly all over the tank.

It is as if he is seeing his reflection in the glass, but his is really moving. He isn't flaring, per say, at the glass, but he does have his fins at full sail, just no gill flaring.

Water parameters are:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5-10 (hard to tell with API kit)
Tap water that comes out at 1 ppm of Ammonia which resolves in about 8 hours. Prime to condition the water.

He gets a 50% water change per week to stay on top of nitrates which reach the 10-20 range. Just him and a nerite snail, which he doesn't like in the tank and will swim around and occasionally nip at.

He eats well as long as you don't try to feed him right after you wake him up in the morning. Then he is a little clumsy.

He's only been in the tank for two weeks, so some of this behavior could anomalous, but he was hiding from the light for a few days.

Today's wild behavior is new.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsonic View Post
He has hiding spots. The outflow has a sponge on it slowing the flow and he is fine with it, sometimes putting his nose right against the outflow.

The anacharis is already starting to eliminate his ability to paste himself against the filter, but today he has decided to go beserk and swim quickly all over the tank.

It is as if he is seeing his reflection in the glass, but his is really moving. He isn't flaring, per say, at the glass, but he does have his fins at full sail, just no gill flaring.

Water parameters are:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5-10 (hard to tell with API kit)
Tap water that comes out at 1 ppm of Ammonia which resolves in about 8 hours. Prime to condition the water.

He gets a 50% water change per week to stay on top of nitrates which reach the 10-20 range. Just him and a nerite snail, which he doesn't like in the tank and will swim around and occasionally nip at.

He eats well as long as you don't try to feed him right after you wake him up in the morning. Then he is a little clumsy.

He's only been in the tank for two weeks, so some of this behavior could anomalous, but he was hiding from the light for a few days.

Today's wild behavior is new.
Have you tried a hiding log? My Betta, loves a floating hiding log. Also have you tried creating a hammock with your plants?

I had a Betta once jump from the tank(rimless) because he didn't like the lighting.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:30 PM
Algae Grower

I use Almond leaves... He loves to sit under it while it floats on the surface.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode