• 1 Post By jeffkrol
  • 1 Post By AguaScape
  • 1 Post By Mattypants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
LED suggestions for 16" Betta bowl

So I have a huge 16" diameter glass fish bowl that I'd like to use an LED with, but I don't think a clipon would work. Are there any decent LEDs that are made for bowls or is it DIY time? All suggestions welcomed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190301_204111_1551605482797.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	878449  

jkay85 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:32 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
For that setup I would suggest the Fluval Nano bluetooth light. Would provide more than enough light. The trick would be mounting it. The factory bracket is an L shaped piece of metal. It can be used in either direction |____ or
|
|_

If you could create a piece of metal or wood in an L shape that the bowl would sit on, the run up the back of the tank, this would give you a good mounting spot using the factory parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FishBowl.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	878453  

AguaScape and Mattypants like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Algae Grower

I found an inexpensive goose neck led light for my betta bowl at a hobby lobby. I don't remember the name of it but I found it in the art supplies area on clearance. It has been a pretty decent light for my bowl as my plants grow fairly ok.
Mattypants likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 03:15 PM
Planted Member

Here is a nice bowl led light.
Led Aquarium Light - Innovate Flexible LED lamp for Freshwater Aquarium - Fish Tank Light - NanoSoft Plus Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FQL9BX5..._T0.ECbYMQPBSH
Mattypants likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I have one of these tanks-love it. But I just use a bulky clip lamp with cfl (13 watt 6500k) works great for me. No suggestions for LED, hard to get a good wide spread in length and width for this tank.
Mattypants likes this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:53 AM
Algae Grower

Kessil makes high quality led lights that may be what you are looking for. I come from more of a reef keeping background, but kessil has some of the best coloration of any lighting. Depending on your budget, you could look into the freshwater versions of the AI prime hd or the radion xr15 pro. They both have easy controls for both color temperature and intensity.
Mattypants likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattypants View Post
So I have a huge 16" diameter glass fish bowl that I'd like to use an LED with, but I don't think a clipon would work. Are there any decent LEDs that are made for bowls or is it DIY time? All suggestions welcomed!
Attach one of these to a board/stand for the bowl.. though there is a pic w/ it attached to a fishbowl.

https://www.amazon.com/Leite-Aquariu...gateway&sr=8-2

BTW: They seem to be screwing around w/ the light naming/models..so suggest caution:
LED Aquarium Lights Dimmable For Fish Coral Saltwater Freshwater Plant Nano tank

Search this "somewhere"....

They used to have a fw version (6500k) and a sw.. which w/ dimming certain channels is "useable"

Freshwater does not have the wireless remote but is step dimmable..
Mattypants likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
For that setup I would suggest the Fluval Nano bluetooth light. Would provide more than enough light. The trick would be mounting it. The factory bracket is an L shaped piece of metal. It can be used in either direction |____ or
|
|_

If you could create a piece of metal or wood in an L shape that the bowl would sit on, the run up the back of the tank, this would give you a good mounting spot using the factory parts.
I was thinking of buying one for the bowl since I just bought to Fluval Floras that come with them. They're pretty nice. I'd go with a CFL and desklamp setup with a timer, but I don't like the idea of insta-bright and insta-dark - seems pretty streesful and unnatural. I may just get another of these...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladypikachu97 View Post
I found an inexpensive goose neck led light for my betta bowl at a hobby lobby. I don't remember the name of it but I found it in the art supplies area on clearance. It has been a pretty decent light for my bowl as my plants grow fairly ok.
@EdWiser Haha wow, pretty cool, I've never seen that one. Not sure if 2.5W would be enough for how planted the bowl will be, but will keep it on my radar, thanks

Last edited by Mattypants; 03-15-2019 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Tech problems replying to thread
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like @Immortal1's suggestion of the fluval bluetooth nano. The FluvalSmart app is excellent and easy to use. It gives you good control of color, ramps, and duration with a simple to use smartphone application.
Immortal1 likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken14 View Post
Kessil makes high quality led lights that may be what you are looking for. I come from more of a reef keeping background, but kessil has some of the best coloration of any lighting. Depending on your budget, you could look into the freshwater versions of the AI prime hd or the radion xr15 pro. They both have easy controls for both color temperature and intensity.
I watched a Water Box vid on Youtube today where he recommended one by Kessil - I have the tab somewhere amongst the other 40 I have open. I looked like reef lighting at first glance but I need to take a better look.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Attach one of these to a board/stand for the bowl.. though there is a pic w/ it attached to a fishbowl.

https://www.amazon.com/Leite-Aquariu...gateway&sr=8-2

BTW: They seem to be screwing around w/ the light naming/models..so suggest caution:
LED Aquarium Lights Dimmable For Fish Coral Saltwater Freshwater Plant Nano tank

Search this "somewhere"....

They used to have a fw version (6500k) and a sw.. which w/ dimming certain channels is "useable"

Freshwater does not have the wireless remote but is step dimmable..
I actually did buy the fw version without the remote. Too heavy for my liking to clip onto the top side of the bowl, so I used it for another 5G tank for now. You can see min by searching the .ca version of "Somewhere" for Lominie LED Aquarium Light, Asta 20 Nano Dimmable Planted Tank Lights 6500K with Gooseneck for Plant Freshwater Aquarium Fish Tank Refugium (Planted Version)

I like the dimmer, but would loooove if I could set up a timed dimmer for sunset and sunrise, but I think I'm dreaming. May as well just spring for another Fluval Nano at that point...
Immortal1 likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I watched a Water Box vid on Youtube today where he recommended one by Kessil - I have the tab somewhere amongst the other 40 I have open. I looked like reef lighting at first glance but I need to take a better look.
Kessil usually makes 2 versions of each light. For your setup, you could do a kessil a80 tuna sun. This is the planted tank light. The tuna blue version of any of their lights are for reef tanks.

Bump:
Quote:
Kessil usually makes 2 versions of each light. For your setup, you could do a kessil a80 tuna sun. This is the planted tank light. The tuna blue version of any of their lights are for reef tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode