Would you trust this to hold ~8 gallons? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:35 AM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I have a bowl of your dimensions but its a 1/4".
My 7g cube has glass that is 1/8" so I'd think it should be fine for holding water.

I have a half gaint (aka pecto king) betta in my 8g jumbo bubble bowl he loves all the space!

Side note: be careful adding betta with amano shrimp. I tried with one of my tanks-my elephant ear (aka dumbo) betta ripped them apart and guarded the corpse while eating it until I pulled it out. This was a slow long finned betta but it didn't stop him from getting the shrimp. Bettas are predators and just because the amano is as big as them (minus the tail fin) doesn't make them safe.
Depends on the Betta, my Crowntail has never bothered my Amanos.
The Amanos hid from him for 2 weeks but now they come out once and a while and he doesn't even notice them but he flares at me often when he wants to be fed.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cl3537 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Mattypants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I have a bowl of your dimensions but its a 1/4".
My 7g cube has glass that is 1/8" so I'd think it should be fine for holding water.

I have a half gaint (aka pecto king) betta in my 8g jumbo bubble bowl he loves all the space!

Side note: be careful adding betta with amano shrimp. I tried with one of my tanks-my elephant ear (aka dumbo) betta ripped them apart and guarded the corpse while eating it until I pulled it out. This was a slow long finned betta but it didn't stop him from getting the shrimp. Bettas are predators and just because the amano is as big as them (minus the tail fin) doesn't make them safe.
Where did you get such a big bowl with 1/4" thickness?
Mattypants is offline  
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:19 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: rochester ny
Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythos View Post
Any updates on the potatoes? I have to admit I'm on the edge of my seat wondering. I have so many questions...


I find myself wondering what else one could use?
It's an old thread, but lots of plant suggestions in there

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...lant-list.html


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Help build the [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] and [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
theatermusic87 is online now  
 
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 PM
Algae Grower
 
Pythos's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
It's an old thread, but lots of plant suggestions in there

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...lant-list.html



That is absolutely awesome! Thanks for posting that!
Pythos is offline  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
AquaAurora's Avatar
 
PTrader: (36/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 5,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattypants View Post
Where did you get such a big bowl with 1/4" thickness?
Copy-pasted from a pm on another form someone has asked me the same question: I'm not sure if the listings linked have the same thickness, I did not check that. you'd have to contact the sellers to see.

The exact listing I bought is no longer available on amazon (original bought with prime so i could return if it arrived broken) I spent somewhere between $60-80. This is the closest I can find to it (actually slightly larger! and more expensive x.x at a little over $100)
https://smile.amazon.com/WGV-Clear-x...bo+bubble+bowl
something similar on ebay used:
search ebay "Handblown Glass Jumbo Bubble Bowl Vase, H-15"/11" Body D-18""


Oh here we go found what I have on ebay-bowl is cheap, shipping is not, total $120 (I swear these were cheaper a few years ago, I've never have spent $100 or more on a tank)
go to ebay and search "Jumbo Bubble Bowl Glass Vases 16"

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AquaAurora is offline  
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
JJ09's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 2,395
I use pothos, philodendron and sweet potato vine (bought as a decorative house plant) on a few of my tanks.

I had a diff problem keeping amano shrimp and betta. When I introduced them, my largest amano shrimp had a faceoff w/the betta over food- and pinched the betta's fins. Amanos can be pretty darn aggressive. Well, after that my betta was always shy of the shrimp. I kept thinking he would retaliate some day and rip them apart, but he never did- instead he avoided them at feeding time, and slept in a top corner of the tank, well out of their way.

I finally took the amanos out and surprise, my betta is so much more relaxed now. I often see him resting on the surface of anubias leaves, and he explores among the lower plants now, things he never did while the amanos were in there.

It's pretty funny that my shrimps were harrassing my betta.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JJ09 is offline  
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Mattypants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Copy-pasted from a pm on another form someone has asked me the same question: I'm not sure if the listings linked have the same thickness, I did not check that. you'd have to contact the sellers to see.

The exact listing I bought is no longer available on amazon (original bought with prime so i could return if it arrived broken) I spent somewhere between $60-80. This is the closest I can find to it (actually slightly larger! and more expensive x.x at a little over $100)
https://smile.amazon.com/WGV-Clear-x...bo+bubble+bowl
something similar on ebay used:
search ebay "Handblown Glass Jumbo Bubble Bowl Vase, H-15"/11" Body D-18""


Oh here we go found what I have on ebay-bowl is cheap, shipping is not, total $120 (I swear these were cheaper a few years ago, I've never have spent $100 or more on a tank)
go to ebay and search "Jumbo Bubble Bowl Glass Vases 16"
Funny, mine is also made by CYS, but about 4mm, about 2mm less than the one you bought https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although the one you bought is listed as being 3/16" thickness, which is somewhere between 4" and 5". I'm guessing they all come out different thicknesses...

Should probably be fine. I'll be sure to post pics of the water damage otherwise. Right after I get in touch with my insurance company

Last edited by Mattypants; 03-14-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added detail
Mattypants is offline  
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Mattypants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
I use pothos, philodendron and sweet potato vine (bought as a decorative house plant) on a few of my tanks.

I had a diff problem keeping amano shrimp and betta. When I introduced them, my largest amano shrimp had a faceoff w/the betta over food- and pinched the betta's fins. Amanos can be pretty darn aggressive. Well, after that my betta was always shy of the shrimp. I kept thinking he would retaliate some day and rip them apart, but he never did- instead he avoided them at feeding time, and slept in a top corner of the tank, well out of their way.

I finally took the amanos out and surprise, my betta is so much more relaxed now. I often see him resting on the surface of anubias leaves, and he explores among the lower plants now, things he never did while the amanos were in there.

It's pretty funny that my shrimps were harrassing my betta.
That is pretty funny. I think after stories like this I'll skip on the Amano, since I'm trying to make the Betta's home as relaxed as possible..

Last edited by Mattypants; 03-14-2019 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Mattypants is offline  
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Mattypants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 34
Well I guess this is officially happening...



- Rotala indica X2
- Common Vallisneria
- Wendt's cryp
- Hygrophila difformis (Water wisteria)
- Dwarf ambulia
- Hygrophilia angustifolia
- Cryptocoryne balansae
- Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' x2
tredford likes this.
Mattypants is offline  
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower
 
BenTheLlama's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 26
Just a warning, if you decide to put a Betta in the bowl, make sure you have some type of cover for the bowl because Bettas are notorious jumpers. Either a wire or plastic lid (if you can find/make one for a bowl) or a thick growth of pothos or floating plants or something to block the Bettas exit!
BenTheLlama is online now  
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
AquaAurora's Avatar
 
PTrader: (36/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 5,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTheLlama View Post
Just a warning, if you decide to put a Betta in the bowl, make sure you have some type of cover for the bowl because Bettas are notorious jumpers. Either a wire or plastic lid (if you can find/make one for a bowl) or a thick growth of pothos or floating plants or something to block the Bettas exit!
I use cut polycarbinate (LEXAN-from home depot) as my batta tank lids. Won't break if i drop it like glass, and can cut to fit each tank. Polycarbinate don't bow the way acrylic does-same thickness acrylic flexes enough the betta can still pop out the edges no problem.
That said I've only ever had 1 jump happy betta, the others have been fine with the dense planting and floaters (not completely covered top). Even had a betta in an open top riparium 20g long for several months before moving-the schooling fish were nipping him.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AquaAurora is offline  
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Mattypants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTheLlama View Post
Just a warning, if you decide to put a Betta in the bowl, make sure you have some type of cover for the bowl because Bettas are notorious jumpers. Either a wire or plastic lid (if you can find/make one for a bowl) or a thick growth of pothos or floating plants or something to block the Bettas exit!
By the time the bowl is Betta-ready the frogbit and duckweed should be much thicker, but I'll see. So far most of the plants are just sitting in the bowl for now. Today I planted some Val in the back and one of the hairgrass containers divided up front. The other stuff still in containers from the store.

Here's a pic from Instagram today. Once you filter a pic a bit it's hard to offer up the original lol

tredford likes this.
Mattypants is offline  
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Mattypants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 34
So 17 days after adding soil and cap, the bowl has gone through its nitrogen cycle. The nitrites were slightly elevated 2 days ago, but are now zero, as are nitrates. 3 or 4 Crypt leaves have melted, but aside from that, all is good. Added a Nerite last night, and it's now time to Betta shop...

Mattypants is offline  
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Mattypants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythos View Post
Any updates on the potatoes? I have to admit I'm on the edge of my seat wondering. I have so many questions...


I find myself wondering what else one could use?
The red/purple sweet potato has a fast-growing cluster of roots and 3 purple buds on top. The other one is much slower for some reason. I took this about an hour ago:



Here's a pic from 2 days ago, just to show you how fast the roots grow:


Last edited by Mattypants; 03-31-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Mattypants is offline  
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:06 PM
Algae Grower
 
Pythos's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Posts: 33
Those roots!! They look great to me!

I was considering attaching one to a stick or something and then slowly working the roots around it down the length of the stick as it grows...

Yeah... I name my fish...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- "Dot"
Pythos is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Bubba Gumpin' Shrimpin' Company's 33 Shrimpy Gallons of Planted Shrimpery MCFC Tank Journals 2 03-10-2018 05:25 PM
29 Gallons Under the Sea puriance Tank Journals 174 02-13-2018 07:21 PM
Will this cabinet hold...? botanicalT Equipment 2 12-05-2016 08:21 PM
Rock Glue to hold rocks together? miogpsrocks General Planted Tank Discussion 10 09-17-2015 02:31 PM
Can dwarf hairgrass roots take hold in... Barbels Substrate 16 08-19-2011 02:31 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome