One Fish to Rule Them All - The Planted Tank Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
One Fish to Rule Them All

Setting up a 2.6 gal Spec lll. Planning on a Red Racer Nerite and (to be determined) shrimp. I have three different fish in mind as the only fish in the tank:

1 male guppy (is the tank big enough?)
or
1 Pea Puffer (will it bother a large Nerite, or the shrimp?)
or
1-3 male Endler's

My own personal preferences aside, are any of these inappropriate for this tank? Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Puffer will kill the shrimp and snail. Guppies and Endlers would work, but not the most ideal in a 2.6 gallon. I'd imagine the guppies would probably eat shrimp as well, but I have no personal experience with those two together.
Fisherking likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Algae Grower

No doubt in my mind that the pea puffer would eat the snail, and possibly the shrimp. also I wouldn't put one in anything less than a 5 gallon. One guppy would be pushing the limits but it is possible but not recommended. I would go with about 3 endlers with the shrimp and the nerite snail. Hope this helps good luck
Fisherking likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In 2.6g I would just go for shrimp n snails. It's not really big enough to sensibly house any fish.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a pea puffer, guppies (male/female) and cherry/amano shrimp in a 10 gallon heavily planted tank. the puffer/guppies don't bother the adult shrimp but will nip at the smaller ones. of course, the shrimp have LOTS of hiding spots within all the plants. large snails will be ignored by the puffer most likely, but this greatly depends on the puffer's individual personality and how confident it is. it might nip at the snail, which will eventually kill it.. that being said, 2.6g isn't really big enough for anything other than the shrimp and snail.
Fisherking likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Frankly it'd be best as a shrimp only tank. Guppies and endlers fo better with more swim room. And the nerite won't have enough surface area for natural food.. not to mention the high nitrates from its poop in such a small tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
One Fish to rule them all
Too small a tank for nine black guppies, alas.
Fisherking likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I am sure people will flame me for this stocking but everything seemed fine!

I had 3 male Endlers, 1 Nerite snail and 3 Amano shrimp. The tank was planted with some crypts and moss.

The endlers swam all over playing while the other 2 cleaned the tank (I fed them too, were not just scavengers). I just recently upgraded them all to a flex 15 but they seemed happy in the Spec 3.
Fisherking likes this.

10g Medium planted
DIY CO2
20" Finnex Planted+

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:00 PM
Algae Grower

Spec III is way too small and the dimensions suck for any fish.
Fisherking likes this.

AquaMaxx Cuboid 9.1 + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba XB-303
ADA Mini M + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba PF-120 HOB
UNS 3N + Chihiros RGB+ Azoo Mignon 60 HOB
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks to all for the input! I decided to go the low stress/low guilt route.

On order: 1 Vittina waigiensis (Red Nerite), 5 Neocaridina davidi (Blue Rili Shrimp) plus Hagen Fluval Shrimp Granules Crustacean Food. As always, the Nerite will get a piece of a "snail pellet" now and then.

One SNAIL to rule them all...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
Thanks to all for the input! I decided to go the low stress/low guilt route.

On order: 1 Vittina waigiensis (Red Nerite), 5 Neocaridina davidi (Blue Rili Shrimp) plus Hagen Fluval Shrimp Granules Crustacean Food. As always, the Nerite will get a piece of a "snail pellet" now and then.

One SNAIL to rule them all...
I LOVE my snail & shrimp tank -- I bet you'll be happy!
Fisherking likes this.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 04:19 AM
Algae Grower

In Germany, I believe it would be illegal to have fish in the OPs tank. If I had a nano that small, I would do a plant only tank. I think aquariums without animals is the next evolutionary step in the aquatic gardening hobby. All the best, john
Fisherking and Discusluv like this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john borr View Post
In Germany, I believe it would be illegal to have fish in the OPs tank.
Here in Texas, we don't regulate much. Are Germans required to have their tanks inspected? How do they manage to enforce this law? Not looking to argue, just wondering.

I can totally see the beauty of an all-plant tank, but now that my Rili's have arrived, I can't take my eyes off their busy little selves!

Last edited by Fisherking; 02-15-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: punctuation
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
Here in Texas, we don't regulate much. Are Germans required to have their tanks inspected? How do they manage to enforce this law? Not looking to argue, just wondering.

I can totally see the beauty of an all-plant tank, but now that my Rili's have arrived, I can't take my eyes off their busy little selves!
Usually these types of regulations are more social than legislative. Sure, they may be on the books, but the application of enforcement works at a different level- through shared notions of what is acceptable/unacceptable in regard to animals/fish we keep as pets in our homes.

Aquarium stores most likely are bound by the law that they cant sell a tank of that size with fish to go in it. But, once the tank is sold, the aquarist can go the next day and purchase fish and the law cannot be enforced.

The powers that be are hoping that eventually people will share the idea that it is "wrong" to put fish in inadequate quarters and will regulate themselves in response.
Fisherking likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks Discusluv for that very well written explanation. I also like Fisherking’s Lord of the Rings reference, all the best with your new tank Fisherking.
Fisherking likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode