SunSun 603B Flow Issues on 7.9GAL Nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation SunSun 603B Flow Issues on 7.9GAL Nano

Posting this here, as I have one running on my 7.9GAL Nano tank.

All the videos online show good flow, yet mine, which has been operating for 3 weeks now, is barely producing flow. In fact, I have an oily film on the surface which I have to remove daily and my plants are not even budging.

I've tried wiggling to let the air out, I've tried various media setups (currently 2 pads, 1 bag of BioMAXX Noodles). I have it located underneath a stand, I was wondering if it doesn't have enough head pressure to push the water up.

Also, on the output side, I had to reduce hose size with a fitting to fit my glass lily pipe which came 1 size too short. Sigh.

Anyone have any suggestions or should I consider moving up to the next size. I like the SunSun's, but I have a feeling I have the perfect storm here.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I successfully ran my 603b on my 9gal for a while, but flow was always an issue. Depending on the head height you may have created too much pressure for the small pump to handle. My advice to begin with, raise the pump as a test. If flow output is increased, then this is your issue and maybe you upgrade to the 302.

I am curious about your lily pipes though, if I'm not mistaken the 603 uses the smallest conventionally sized pipe, so why would you need to use a reducer?
Second idea. Run the filter with standard intake and output connections. Just as an experiment, restriction of flow from lily pipes could be an issue also.

Post some distances of pump to output height etc, will help any others that look at the post. I am not the most knowledgable individual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
So it never worked right? Or worked fine at first then slowed down? If it never worked right I'd try and return it

Sounds like a possible impeller issue maybe. Does the impeller spin freely and have all its fins? Or maybe there's too much trapped air, can try putting the output lower in a bucket to see if air burps out. With canister filters head pressure is less an issue due to it being a closed loop. As water falls it helps push it back up. Also reducing hose size would increase the speed at which water comes out

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Jamo33; when I purchased my Lily Pipes (from China), the intake was standard size, the Violet Output though, was smaller than the Intake. So I had to put a reducer on to further shrink the hosing down to fit the Lily Pipes.

In retrospect, I should have just purchased another stand alone lily pipe Violet Output at the same size as the Intake and called it a day. This is still on the idea list. Sometimes, cheaper doesn't mean better.

I thought about the 302, still on the books.

@KayakJimW, hose size or in this case, length might be an issue, I had the lines crossed so when I turned the canister filter around to "straighten things up" the flow increased dramatically. This weekend, I plan to trim at least 6" off the line and see this helps, which I believe it will, there is a massive amount of length in the output side, which would require more pressure to push out.

Thanks guys, these have been some wonderful suggestions, I'll be doing some tweaking and further experiments this weekend. From what I have done so far, I can see movement in tank, surface is another story. A small Tunze Powerhead might help things out with that.

Gary
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've trimmed 6" off the outtake and 6" off the intake. No luck. It arrived like this, problem being, I let it sit for 3 months before starting it up. Ordered it off Amazon, but I believe it's just my luck.

Either way, I have decided to go with my original plan; Eheim 2211 (or 150). At least I can throttle the flow if need be and maintenance is not a watery endeavour.

Thanks for all whom responded.

Gary

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode