Shelving multiple nano tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shelving multiple nano tanks

Does anyone use a single shelf for multiple nano tanks? Post your pics! I'm looking into ideas for my 5 gal and 2.5 gal within a limited room space and want to see if anyone has succeeded in something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Algae Grower

I've always wanted shelf with multiple nano tanks (1g-2.5g each), but I would always worry about the weight. The tanks by themselves don't seem like much but once there's like 3-4, it definitely adds up. I'd also like to see some pics of other people's setups

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You're looking at between 50 and 60 pounds depending on type and amount of substrate. Keep that in mind.

You may want to test whatever you get first with a bag of cement.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:30 AM
Algae Grower

I haven't bought it but I have been looking at this shelf unit. I like it because it's wide enough for a 10 gallon but deep enough for a 5 gallon with the short end out. it can hold 600lbs per shelf and 3000lbs total on feet (not wheels). I'd cut some wood to go over the wire shelves for a more even surface for small tanks. Don't have the space or time to maintain all the tanks this would hold right now though it's on the back burner for now.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by asliceofkate View Post
I haven't bought it but I have been looking at this shelf unit. I like it because it's wide enough for a 10 gallon but deep enough for a 5 gallon with the short end out. it can hold 600lbs per shelf and 3000lbs total on feet (not wheels). I'd cut some wood to go over the wire shelves for a more even surface for small tanks. Don't have the space or time to maintain all the tanks this would hold right now though it's on the back burner for now.
All I can say is check the reviews and read between the lines for any reference that they didn't meet the specs. What would be an annoyance to others could be catastrophic for us. Otherwise, stay away from engineered wood products for base surfaces (MDF, Particle Board, or even Plywood) as they don't perform well wet. Even melamine will swell and crumble if unsealed edges get moist.

I'd go for something like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Parkland-Pl...-Panel/3436816

$20 but you'd need some place to store the excess. Lowes or Home Depot will do a couple of cuts for free and more at a nominal charge. If you don't mind white it might make a fair background. The white would certainly aid in light spread and penetration.

{new - in progress }
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:19 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-140 View Post
All I can say is check the reviews and read between the lines for any reference that they didn't meet the specs. What would be an annoyance to others could be catastrophic for us. Otherwise, stay away from engineered wood products for base surfaces (MDF, Particle Board, or even Plywood) as they don't perform well wet. Even melamine will swell and crumble if unsealed edges get moist.

I'd go for something like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Parkland-Pl...-Panel/3436816

$20 but you'd need some place to store the excess. Lowes or Home Depot will do a couple of cuts for free and more at a nominal charge. If you don't mind white it might make a fair background. The white would certainly aid in light spread and penetration.
It's a wire shelf. Not too worried about water. Besides, it would only fit one 10 gallon per shelf or two 5 gallon short end out and maybe a 2.5 between them, so less than 150lbs per shelf unless you were just loading them with rocks. That's only 1/4 of the rated weight.

I was planning on getting some nice plywood for on top of the wire shelves, maybe birch or oak, angle or drill circles out of the corners to accommodate the posts, veneer the edges, and stain it and seal it with marine grade clear coat. I think it would do just fine especially since it's not structural, but as I said no space for it or time for the maintenance for that many tanks right now unfortunately
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Access from above can be a problem when putting tanks on shelves (at least with one above it). I have my Fluval Spec in a big office-type shelf unit. Looks great but it's a real pain trying to do anything in the tank with only 5" or 6" above. I anticipated that to a degree and put another shelf on the shelf so that I can slide it all out some when I need to but it's still a lot more trouble day to day than just reaching down into my other open tanks. I'm going to end up moving it when I get a chance and doubt that I'll do the same again.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by asliceofkate View Post
It's a wire shelf. Not too worried about water. Besides, it would only fit one 10 gallon per shelf or two 5 gallon short end out and maybe a 2.5 between them, so less than 150lbs per shelf unless you were just loading them with rocks. That's only 1/4 of the rated weight.

I was planning on getting some nice plywood for on top of the wire shelves, maybe birch or oak, angle or drill circles out of the corners to accommodate the posts, veneer the edges, and stain it and seal it with marine grade clear coat. I think it would do just fine especially since it's not structural, but as I said no space for it or time for the maintenance for that many tanks right now unfortunately
Minwax Pro Series Spar Urethane

{new - in progress }
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My biggest concern with shelves where you can readjust the shelf levels is an unlevel tank, or too much weight bringing the shelf plank down.

For my Fluval Spec V gal alone I use this shelf.

Having that middle divider I think really helps with the weight distribution. It'd just be nice if the cubbies were big enough to support the Fluval Spec III I have. It was actually my intention when I got the tank, before I realized that with the light, there'd be no space.

get out of my house

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode