Maniscalco Aquascape Fluval V Spec Questions - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maniscalco Aquascape Fluval V Spec Questions

I went browsing through the "let me see some FLUVAL SPEC V'S" thread and instantly became smitten by this design by Maniscalco Aquascape.

It seems like they're no longer present on the site to answer any questions, so I thought I'd ask the community (because I'm still a newb) if they can speculate any specs with this tank. I assume it would need CO2. Can anyone guess what the plants, substrate (wondering if it has nutrients), and rocks are?

I think I can identify some as anubias, christmas moss, and neon tetras.

I'm definitely inspired to update my own aquascape and look into CO2 again, but I'd rather keep a single betta than any school of fish in a 5 gal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniscalco Aquascape View Post
Here's my Spec V and some of it's inhabitants after it's most recent re-scape.

I'm calling it "Chīsana Sekai" for now, which roughly translates to "Small World" in Japanese. Kind of a little homage to Takashi Amano.

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 01-31-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most likely using CO2, as the growth is very full and lush. Planting wise there is Hydrocotyle Tripartita, Anubias, Bucephalandra, Staurogyne Repens, HC Cuba, Alternanthera, Helanthium Tenellum and Rotala Wallichii. I could easily be wrong about some of these so hopefully someone more experienced can have a look.

Rocks are Dragon Stone, and I'd guess they are using a nutrient substrate in the planted areas.

Oscar
Ryan Mosby likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlloydjohn View Post
Most likely using CO2, as the growth is very full and lush. Planting wise there is Hydrocotyle Tripartita, Anubias, Bucephalandra, Staurogyne Repens, HC Cuba, Alternanthera, Helanthium Tenellum and Rotala Wallichii. I could easily be wrong about some of these so hopefully someone more experienced can have a look.

Rocks are Dragon Stone, and I'd guess they are using a nutrient substrate in the planted areas.

Oscar
Thank you, Oscar!
oscarlloydjohn likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Algae Grower

Looks like cryptocoryne albida red as well

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlloydjohn View Post

Oscar
These definitely look right and there is also what looks like mini christmas moss and marsilea hirsute too.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:56 PM
Algae Grower

I'm kind of in love with this tank as well. I love the use of space with all the different layers of plants in such a small tank.

The red plant looks more like a stem plant than a rosette so I was thinking Alternanthera reineckii 'Pink' instead of Cryptocoryne albida Ďredí.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:14 PM
Algae Grower

I dont know if this would help at all but i just started a 2.5 planted with co2. I am using the 20g fluval kit with a new difuser and a bubble counter it works just as I wanted, and you can get disposable cartiridges 16g 30 for 30$
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

Can someone give me a run down of all the fish present in his aquarium? I recognize the neon tetras and tiger endlers, but wasn't sure on the other fish. Are those lampeye killis? Thanks
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger77 View Post
Can someone give me a run down of all the fish present in his aquarium? I recognize the neon tetras and tiger endlers, but wasn't sure on the other fish. Are those lampeye killis? Thanks
The other two are Galaxy Rasboras and and some type of pseudomogil rainbow I believe.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontee View Post
The other two are Galaxy Rasboras and and some type of pseudomogil rainbow I believe.
I think I spot both pseudomugil luminatus and pseudomugil gertrudae in there.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've really been inspired by the layout of the tank for my own 5 gallon, but not so much the livestock; for a 5 gallon, this seems really overstocked.
Thelongsnail likes this.

get out of my house
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mosby View Post
I've really been inspired by the layout of the tank for my own 5 gallon, but not so much the livestock; for a 5 gallon, this seems really overstocked.
Not really. There's about a dozen nano fish in there, a nerite and maybe a couple of red cherry shrimp. And it's a heavily planted tank.

AquaMaxx Cuboid 9.1 + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba XB-303
ADA Mini M + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba PF-120 HOB
UNS 3N + Chihiros RGB+ Azoo Mignon 60 HOB
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbyDick View Post
Not really. There's about a dozen nano fish in there, a nerite and maybe a couple of red cherry shrimp. And it's a heavily planted tank.
Isn't there schools of 5 different fish species in there?

get out of my house
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The endlers would be fine OR a small school of CPDs could be fine, but the neons and pseudomugil rainbows certainly aren't.

I'd imagine that they were just put in for the photos, but that tank is definitely overstocked and does not provide the necessary space for most of those fish to thrive, although they may survive. They don't appear to have the correct numbers for shoaling either.

There's more to stocking than what the filter/plants can handle.
Ryan Mosby likes this.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
At one point I had 9 Emerald Dwarf Raspboras (unknowingly) in a 7 gallon cube tank. I didn't realize there were that many in there, I thought I only had 2-3 in there, but I also couldn't figure out why my plants were THRIVING. Turns out EDR are incredible at hiding and I dislike them for that. Also they do well with overstocking in a well-planted tank.

I think at one point I also had 6 EDR in there, along with some Heterandria Formosa (3-5 I'm guessing?), and a Dwarf Gourami. They got along fine, and the plants did a little too well.

All I'm saying is that if things are balanced right, overstocking isn't the end of the world. Would I recommend as many fish as are in the original pic? No. But small tanks can support a pretty surprising bioload if managed correctly.
SueD and ScrubbyDick like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode