Redoing an Aquarium, the Right Way
I've stalked these forums frequently but have never posted. Now, I've decided I want to set up a balanced aquarium; the ones I currently have have a few issues that I'm working on fixing.
Right now, I have a colony of Blue Dream Shrimp, or Blue Neos. They haven't produced any reds (yet) so I'm pretty sure they are 'true' Dreams and not Velvets. Right now they live in a messy 10G planted tank with Anubias, Java Fern, Crypts, and etc. in EcoComplete substrate. It's heated and filtered with a little sponge, however I'd like to do something a little bigger and better.
I have a 15G Rimless that will be empty as soon as I can sell the guppy fry and the 15G gets out of QT. I'm not really sure how to pose my questions so I'm just going to type and if my thoughts are scattered... well, I apologize in advance. Below is the vague 'plan', or list of things that I'd like to have for it.
- Filter (Under Gravel? Possibly? I'd like it to remain cheap, I have a AquaClear50 on it atm but I don't want the shrimplets to get killed...)
- Heater (Hydor Theo 100W)
- Finnex Stingray 30"
- Gravel (Darker color, was looking at CaribSea 'Blue Ridge' or similar?)
- Larger stones and spiderwood for hardscape?
- Plants, like Crypts and Java Moss... Java Fern also seems to do well, along with Wisteria, however I have never been able to successfully grow Cambodia(?), Hornwort?, or L. Repens if I'm remembering these names right. I also haven't had much luck with Anarchis or Marimo, despite rolling them with every water change. I would LOVE to have Tiger Locust(?) or Lily or whatever but those haven't grown well either.
- Emersed growers like Bamboo and Pothos? I'd like to try something like Sweet Potato or etc but I'll get the tank looking good first.
Specific brands, types, advice... anything, really, is appreciated!
Edit: I've also started looking into Botanicals as per Rachel O'Leary's most recent video... opinions?
Last edited by xUma; 01-24-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Reason: Added Info, Tank Size