• 1 Post By Thelongsnail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Livestock recommendations 15 Gal

Hi everyone.

1st time poster so go easy

Ive just set up my 15 gal tank planted it up and am using a combination of the JBL volcano rock and planted tank soil subs.

Dragon Stones added along with some spider-wood (Spider wood may or may not end up removed).

Can any one recommend livestock to add once water is settled and tank is cycled.

Thinking of some Cherry shrimp but not really sure on the fish.

Any help choosing would be appreciated

Pictures will follow once the tanks settled a bit and ive moved a few bits about. (1st attempt at aqua-scaping a tank)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 PM
Planted Member

Hi @Daniel02 ! Welcome to the forums!

To go with your cherry shrimp, you'll probably want smaller fish that don't pose as much of a threat to them, although they are still likely to eat baby shrimp if there isn't enough plant cover for them. Some good choices would be small rasboras or danios, such as harlequin rasboras or celestial pearl danios. I'm a big fan of kuhli loaches as well - I think they are predators, but they have small mouths (couldn't eat an adult shrimp), and mine seem to have a hard enough time finding sinking pellets, so I feel most shrimp would be able to get away no problem.

Last edited by germanblueramlover; 01-12-2019 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for your reply. I was looking at some endlers as very small and bright active fish... the original plan was a betta but have since decided like shrimp and a betta aint a great idea.

Tank is quite well planted at present with hygrophila Siamensis, Bacopa compact, Cryptocoryne Willisil and a fair bit of Eleocharis (Hair grass) for cover... will be giving it a month or so to bed in and grow up a bit before adding any livestock.

Would you recommend adding the shrimp before the fish?

Last edited by Daniel02; 01-13-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Double post

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:21 PM
Planted Member

Yes, probably a good idea to add the shrimp first. Give them some time to start breeding and building up their numbers, so that even if some are eaten you should have enough to be a self sustaining colony. Also helps as the fish will probably think anything you put in is food - don't give them the idea!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanblueramlover View Post
Yes, probably a good idea to add the shrimp first. Give them some time to start breeding and building up their numbers, so that even if some are eaten you should have enough to be a self sustaining colony. Also helps as the fish will probably think anything you put in is food - don't give them the idea!
Thanks for the advice!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you add plenty of plants, the shrimp should be able to keep the numbers going, especially if you give them a head start.

I always seem to recommend endlers, but yes! They'd be great in a 15g, as long as you stick with males. Mine are fine with the small amanos recently, although I think they'd eat shrimplets if given the chance.

Looking forwards to seeing photos!
Darles Chickens likes this.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
If you add plenty of plants, the shrimp should be able to keep the numbers going, especially if you give them a head start.

I always seem to recommend endlers, but yes! They'd be great in a 15g, as long as you stick with males. Mine are fine with the small amanos recently, although I think they'd eat shrimplets if given the chance.

Looking forwards to seeing photos!
Thanks!

Will put some pics up here in the coming days. Had a bit of an issue with some floating spider wood which has also taken out plants and substrate so will be sorting it out tomorrow
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:32 AM
Algae Grower

15 gallons is considered nano?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Some other options:

Liquorice and Sparkling Gouramis
Scarlet badis
Boraras brigitte or naevus
Coffee bean tetra, Green neon tetra, Tucano tetra, Jelly Bean tetra,
Pygmy hatchetfish

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
You have not listed you pH which is a factor choosing fish. My water is more alkaline that i'd like which limits me from several species I'd like to try (water is also too hard to make pH drop with driftwood/leaf litter).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode