5.5g 2yr old tank, Xmas moss panels, frogbits, salvinia, puffer, cory, rasb, kuhli - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
5.5g 2yr old tank, Xmas moss panels, frogbits, salvinia, puffer, cory, rasb, kuhli

Having a bit of a bugger of a time with slight fungus and brown hair algae, flow slowed down that didn't help my situation.

Anyhow I'm going to try Malaysian trumpet snails in the tank again, had good success with a small colony before in the tank.

Had accidentally kill off my first batch of MTS and most of the Bladders and Rams I had as well by supplementing too much with iron chelate.

Actually a good last second countermeasure against snail overload.
This wasn't the case though.

I was running 2 pea puffers (males) they battled for alpha for a while then combined forces and ate every snail nearly in the tank.

Again the alpha snail was too good at life and ate a bunch of Bladders that had cyanotoxin in them and he died quite miserably unfortunately.

The beta male had survived off the small satellite colonies of snails and he inherited the entire range (tank) after the alpha perished.

He's now doing the same as before which is good, I got my moss panels completely colonized with moss and it's a good refuge for snails, keeps him from experiencing famines.

I'm considering using the MTS to treat the fungus and also fed the puffer, he is a good surface scavenger of course.

This way I don't have to feed Bladders shrimp pellets as often, they just add a bit more bioload.

The hair algae I think I may try making a fine tip head for my powered siphon wand.
The panels I luck out because I can just remove them and wash them off to remove the algae.

I stopped doing dips with Excell on my moss, maybe I'll use just a little with some peroxide very small doses and no nutes or lights for 24hrs.

Although I've had perfect success just putting it in a bucket with tap water no nutes and just incandescent weak lighting to keep the plants (moss) barely on life support, sort of exaggerating the moss is very hardy and outlives the brown filamentous invader.

Just describing the floral Dynamics a little and babbling.

Also trying to start a little 2.5g pico freshwater tank and a couple daphnia, freshwater fairy shrimp cultures. I may show how I do it, I also received some low voltage (USB) heating sticks, working on extra climate solutions for mini breeders and cultures.

I also use a little airlift siphon but I find it annoying that I can't find T's that have an airline nipple down the middle and two 1/4" or 6mm press fit connections on the ends?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190110_131311_1547263910053.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	4.20 MB
ID:	875455  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thermostat relay controller for 5v heater.
I have fun with my Chinese goods, they usually work quite well. Waiting for mail delivery.

I added fairyshrimp, triops, seed shrimp, & clamshrimp in this culture, they were all mixed together in a dirt mix.

Dirt mix works good comes with some natural detritus, the silty minerals I would like to remove with a baster or another tool, I am going to get an eye dropper tomorrow I think for feeding drops of spirulina powder and yeast soup, it could probably be used to remove waste like the dirt minerals

Have to be precise and add small amounts at beginning, nauplii are not so good at surviving ammonia or nitrite spikes.

Once bacteria starts getting established I'll add a frogbit or some salvinia to buffer nitrate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00-30-15-109a0965735bafd6_1547283963008.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	534.9 KB
ID:	875469  

Name:	IMG_20190112_001827_1547284018157.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	875471  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode