• 3 Post By Dtomazini
  • 1 Post By Dtomazini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking My First Planted Tank - 60x30x32cm - 16,6 gallons

Hi Folks,

I'm new on planted aquarism. After a few weeks reading and studing, i get decided to buy, and mount a planted tank whit this setup:

60x30x32cm aprox. 16,6gal
Filter: Canister Hopar KF-2218
CO2: Basic 2L Kit with solenoid
Lights: 2x 30W white 6500K, with aprox. 3200lm

The first attempt was failed, due to complications with the substrate, PH, KH and GH. The JBL Aqua Soil pherhaps isn't made for beginers.

Now after 2 months, in this second try, i'm using Prodac Fondo Vivo + Mbreda Amazônia (neutral fertile substrate).

Here some photos from the mounting and day after.

tredford and EdTheEdge2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Welcome to TPT!! The tank looks great. Post photos of the progress, and if you have any issues ask questions, lots of great folks here who are very knowledgeable and helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Guys,

Here are some updated photos from the tank.

Perhaps plants are growing well.

At right corner, a few rotala macrandra seedlings. I'm trying ...

Some algae problem...

The improvised light, until i finish the DIY with Arduino
tredford likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Everyone,

Update today. Some plants was moved to back, opening more space in the ftont.

Enviado de meu SM-G9600 usando o Tapatalk
mgeorges, tredford and Pythos like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:47 AM
Algae Grower

One thing to keep in mind when using compressed soil is, the compressed soil contains Ammonium which is what plants LOVE. The rub is, if your water has a higher PH it will create ammonia, cause a huge spike and melt your tank. The fella that taught me said to do 30% water changes a couple times a week for a month while it cycled to get it past the initial Ammonium/Ammonia spike.

Yeah... I name my fish...

<-- "Dot"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:05 PM
Algae Grower

Dtomazini,

I think the tank looks great! I love how it looks now and is growing out.

How are you coming along with your light? I have been "piddling" with the same thing but kind of put it on the back burner a while back. Been thinking about starting it up again. However, I was am working on it with a Raspberry Pi 3. It can handle the PWM for dimming the LEDs and it also has a Wifi nic on it and can run a web server. I figured that way it would be easier to manage by just opening up a web browser to the RPis IP address.

Biggest problem I have now is I started it for a salt water tank so most of the white LEDs are in the 10K range. Not the best for a planted tank. Now the other colors would work great as I have some Red (660Nm), Blue (460Nm), Green (560Nm) and some Violet (440Nm).

Tim

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythos View Post
One thing to keep in mind when using compressed soil is, the compressed soil contains Ammonium which is what plants LOVE. The rub is, if your water has a higher PH it will create ammonia, cause a huge spike and melt your tank. The fella that taught me said to do 30% water changes a couple times a week for a month while it cycled to get it past the initial Ammonium/Ammonia spike.

Hi Pythos, yes that is wright. I usualy do a water change every week, around 40% to 50%. In the firsts weeks, I need to do this twice a week, due to the unbalanced minerals levels.
Pythos likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
Dtomazini,

I think the tank looks great! I love how it looks now and is growing out.

How are you coming along with your light? I have been "piddling" with the same thing but kind of put it on the back burner a while back. Been thinking about starting it up again. However, I was am working on it with a Raspberry Pi 3. It can handle the PWM for dimming the LEDs and it also has a Wifi nic on it and can run a web server. I figured that way it would be easier to manage by just opening up a web browser to the RPis IP address.

Biggest problem I have now is I started it for a salt water tank so most of the white LEDs are in the 10K range. Not the best for a planted tank. Now the other colors would work great as I have some Red (660Nm), Blue (460Nm), Green (560Nm) and some Violet (440Nm).

Tim
Hi Tim,

I've started mounting the Leds on two aluminum heat dissipators, having 200mmx170mm each one. I'm using almost the same configuration: White 5000K, Red (660Nm), Blue (460Nm), Cyan (green) (530Nm) and Fullspectrum. However, after a big mess wiring the Led, I've noticed that I can disassemble a commercial 30w or 50w white Led projector (that uses some kind of SMD LEDs), and use the board.

In this case, the original Led driver could be used together with the Arduino/Raspberry or an TC-420 controller.

Pi3 it's a good choice, however, I believe using Arduino could be easier because you have the PWM output with 5v max. You can easily use a Mosfet Driver like IR2113.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190401-WA0043.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	880665  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190401-WA0045.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	880667  

Last edited by Dtomazini; 04-18-2019 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Including more info
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtomazini View Post
Hi Tim,

I've started mounting the Leds on two aluminum heat dissipators, having 200mmx170mm each one. I'm using almost the same configuration: White 5000K, Red (660Nm), Blue (460Nm), Cyan (green) (530Nm) and Fullspectrum. However, after a big mess wiring the Led, I've noticed that I can disassemble a commercial 30w or 50w white Led projector (that uses some kind of SMD LEDs), and use the board.

In this case, the original Led driver could be used together with the Arduino/Raspberry or an TC-420 controller.

Pi3 it's a good choice, however, I believe using Arduino could be easier because you have the PWM output with 5v max. You can easily use a Mosfet Driver like IR2113.
I am going the route of the Mosfet... I can't recall which one and will have to go back and look. It has been over a year since I was working on it. I was planning on two power supplies, one for the RPi and one for the LEDs. I have about four or five parallel strings of LEDs with a resistor in line. I then brake the circuits with the MosFets. I then run the MosFet from the PWM on the RPi. I was doing it that way so each color strand could be powered and dimmed on their own. Mostly though, I was doing it because I enjoy DIY projects.

I have also considered doing a dual controller board for the LEDs. Using the RPi for the web interface and the WiFi, and then sending control signals over to an Arduino to actually run the LEDs. It would not really give me much except being able to say that I programmed a Arduino to control the LEDs, and then say that I programmed a RPi to control an Arduino.

It kind of got put on the back burner for two good reasons.

1. When you can buy a 30" lights like the "Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CRV" with 36 white LEDs, 28 RGB LEDs, and 20 Red (660Nm) LEDs for $114.00 then it's hard to beat.

2. I started a new DIY project in building a 1933 Ford Factory Five Hot Rod. That tends to keep me busy most of the time. 33 Hot Rod

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Almost ready

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtomazini View Post
Almost ready

Nice... How bright are the ones in the middle? It looks like the ones pre-mounted to the heat are either three watt or five watt with a lens on them. They should provide some great light in a 15 gallon tank.

Are the ones in the middle going to be controlled all the same, or are part of them going to be on a separate controller? (Can you dim the whites separately?)

Tim

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode