Rescued betta need some help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rescued betta need some help

Hello everyone! This is my first post 🙂 so I need some help with a betta I rescued from my local Wal-Mart. I have a 2 gallon hexagon lightly planted no filter with a heater. It's been cycling for a few weeks now. As I said I rescued this sad betta from my local Wal-Mart and he was not doing so well at all. He doesn't seem to be able to float himself. He will swim up for a breath of air (also have a bubbler going for him) and he just sinks back down. He seems to be fine besides the not floating and swimming around part. Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15460282338461081275280_1546028292281.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	887.9 KB
ID:	874581  

Click image for larger version

Name:	15460283038881715336462_1546028318367.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	874583  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 07:55 PM
Algae Grower

Kudos to you for trying to help the sad WalMart Bettas. I did a lot of that myself in my childhood. He most likely has a swim bladder problem. There's not too much you can do other than keep his water clean and warm and let him rest. Sometimes they recover and sometimes they don't. I used to dump all kinds of meds in the water hoping to fix them and very rarely ever had success that way. In fact sometimes it seemed to make them feel worse. Clean water and rest are the best things I've found to give them the best chance of recovery. Good luck to you and him!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Have you taken water tests of your own aquarium to make sure it is cycled?
What are your numbers?
How often are you changing water?
Is the fish eating still?
Laying on the bottom of the tank is not a swim-bladder issue, it is a sign of weakness that indicates internal bacterial infection.
Needs antibiotics. Because it has not yet pine-coned there is a good possibility it can recover- especially if still eating.

Edit: the condition is most likely due to ammonia or nitrite toxicity from being in those small cups they put them in. To counteract this use salt at the rate of 1tsp per 5 gallons of water. make sure you dissolve salt in a small cup of aquarium water before add to tank. Bettas respond very well to the addition of salt in aquarium when ill ( more so than many other species of fish).

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 10:14 PM
Planted Member

In addition to the above, what is the temp in the tank?

And, just in case, "salt" is aquarium salt, also sold at Walmart.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode