1Likes
  • 1 Post By AquaBryan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5.5 gallon aquarium

Hi everyone,

This is my 5.5 gallon aquarium. The tank is an aqua culture 5.5 gallon, filtered by an Azoo mignon 60 filter. The light is a cheap clamp light with a 6500K 24W CFL bulb held up by conduit pipes and elbows. The substrate is miracle grow potting mix capped with sand.

Plant list:

DHG
S. repens
Rotala indica
Bacopa monneri and caroliniana
Bucephalandra sp. wavy green
Anubias nana petite
Ludwigia ovalis
Hydrocotyle sp. Japan
Duckweed & Frogbit
Anacharis najas

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C3A16ADF-5222-4A91-8DD2-A77A7B5BFC70_1545969444121.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	874521  

Click image for larger version

Name:	297F6072-280E-4B84-A50A-6B16D05A9EF7_1545969457008.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	874523  

EdTheEdge2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:25 AM
Planted Member

Since the sand is black, I couldn’t tell how much is sand and how much is dirt. That’s quite a deep substrate, will definitely form anoxic layers. Do you have dirt all the way down, or some inert filler to raise it?
Lots of plant variety in a little tank - I like that.
I’m a fan of going cheap on lights (or perhaps just jealous of all you Fluval 3.0 owners). It makes living with the tank lighting nice, as it’s just more usable illumination in the room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus01 View Post
Since the sand is black, I couldn’t tell how much is sand and how much is dirt. That’s quite a deep substrate, will definitely form anoxic layers. Do you have dirt all the way down, or some inert filler to raise it?
Lots of plant variety in a little tank - I like that.
I’m a fan of going cheap on lights (or perhaps just jealous of all you Fluval 3.0 owners). It makes living with the tank lighting nice, as it’s just more usable illumination in the room.
Hi,

The biggest side is 1 1/2 inch and the lowest is probably a quarter of an inch. Capped with an inch of sand. There is no filler, pure dirt. I’m not worried about anaerobic pockets, but they do happen, especially with sand as a cap.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:13 PM
Planted Member

So 1.5” dirt, 1” sand? I was totally fooled, then. Even knowing it’s a 5gal, I though it was bigger (or at least taller). Should be no issues really, with that depth.

What’s your end goal? Shrimp, snails, nano fish, garden only?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus01 View Post
So 1.5” dirt, 1” sand? I was totally fooled, then. Even knowing it’s a 5gal, I though it was bigger (or at least taller). Should be no issues really, with that depth.

What’s your end goal? Shrimp, snails, nano fish, garden only?
I’m unsure on what I plan to keep, maybe a pea puffer, or shrimp only. But for now, and probably the next few months, it’ll be without any inhabitants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode