• 2 Post By Bato367
  • 1 Post By Bato367
  • 1 Post By Bato367

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First Planted Tank

Hello Planted Tank members. In the past, I have owned cichlid tanks, community freshwater tanks, and a reef tank so I am not completely a noob but, I have never had a planted tank! I am happy to be back in freshwater, saltwater is simply too expensive and it's a pain to even leave your house for extended periods unless you can find someone to top off water! And in my opinion, healthy planted tanks are stunning. So here I am. I started this tank Dec. 20 2018 and welcome any tips, tricks or advice from you all that have more experience than me with planted tanks.

My first concern, is the algae that is popping up on that rock. I probably should nip it in the bud before it gets out of control but what method do I use? I have heard hydrogen peroxide spot treating? Plant more plants to absorb those nutrients? What do you think?

Once the tank is finished "cycling" and a little more stable, I will add 1 or 2 gouramis, some neon tetras and maybe some guppies and cleaners.

Bump: Should have mentioned, I did use Seachem Flourite for the substrate and am using Seachem Prime, Stability, Flourish and Excel.
64D-1701 and swarley like this.

Last edited by Bato367; 12-24-2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Photos didn't upload.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Figured out how to upload photos now...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 06:33 PM
Algae Grower

Adding more plants is usually a good idea. Also, if the tank is still cycling and everything is new, there will be some initial algae. Too much light, either in intensity or duration, will aggravate the problem. 6-7 hours of light is where I would start with a new tank. For a setup without CO2, low light is better. I know from personal mistakes that running medium/high light with fertilizers and using Excel instead of CO2 is a great recipe for algae. Flourish is mostly micro nutrients, but the plants need micros and macros. You may need to supplement with more iron in addition to Flourish. If your light isn't that powerful, and you add more fish, you may have enough nitrogen and phosphorous, but you'll still probably need to add potassium. Also, you may need to add calcium and/or magnesium depending on your water hardness and composition. It's possible that Flourish alone will be enough for your setup, but there just isn't enough information about your tank to provide specific guidance. You've definitely gone down a rabbit hole with this hobby.

As far as spot treating the algae, use Excel in an eye dropper. It works very well.

I'd add StressGuard every day for the fish until the tank is fully cycled. I also like using Purigen for chemical filtration instead of carbon.

55 Gallon Planted / Pressurized CO2 / 2 Finnex Planted+ CC LEDs / Fluval 306 & 406 / Vecton UV / EI Ferts / Flourite Black

Last edited by 64D-1701; 12-24-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: clarification

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the tips! It is the factory 7k Fluval LED light setup. I will reduce my time the lights are on for sure. I think the lights are known to be low to medium in intensity. I did remove the carbon today and did throw in some Purigen. I also added some more plants today to absorb any nutrients the algae may use. Currently there are 4 species of beginner-type common plants and a moss ball. Fish-wise, there are 2 rasboras, 2 tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 2 amano shrimp. My tap water is unknown but I do know it is slightly on the harder side.

I will run my tests later today or tomorrow.
64D-1701 likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 08:09 PM
Algae Grower

I've also started a tank recently and have the same white film on my hardscape. According to your pictures. It isn't algae but a fungus which is harmless for your tank. If you don't do anything it will continue to spread. You can take out the rock and boil it. Or you can just wait until you put your fish in and they will remove/eat it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessev0 View Post
I've also started a tank recently and have the same white film on my hardscape. According to your pictures. It isn't algae but a fungus which is harmless for your tank. If you don't do anything it will continue to spread. You can take out the rock and boil it. Or you can just wait until you put your fish in and they will remove/eat it.
A few snails and a bristlenose pleco took care of it. I also would suck some out when I did water changes. No sign of it now. Here is a new picture from today. There are two beautiful turquoise gouramis in there now. Cobamba is growing like crazy.

[IMG][/IMG]
64D-1701 likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Looking good. The fungus happens in a lot of new tanks. You don't need to do anything, it goes away on its own.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
Looking good. The fungus happens in a lot of new tanks. You don't need to do anything, it goes away on its own.

Thank you! Ya, I see no trace of it. It was new to me as this is my first planted tank.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:08 AM
Algae Grower

Can you fill the water to the top in these Fluval tanks? Or is that dangerous / not allowed?
I've seen them releasing big Flex, whatever that's called now, quite interested in that... but I prefer to fill tanks to the top.

I hope to arrive to my death late, in love, and a little drunk.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode