5.5 Jungle Blackwater - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By ih8paper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5.5 Jungle Blackwater

Hello everyone. Thought I’d post my latest nano tank.

Aqueon 5.5
2 Azoo 60 HOBs in each corner
Lightly diffused CO2 for 1st 2 months
Up Aqua Pro Planted LED 15
Fluval Statum capped with river gravel
Spider wood and river stone hardscape
Alder cones, Indian almond leaf litter

Flora:
Mostly trimmings and leftovers:
Amazon swords (rosette, compacta, osiris)
Narrow leaf java fern
Crypts (walkerii, parv, lutea, etc)
Anubias (minima, nana, lanceo)
Ludwigia (ovalis, repens)
Alternanthera red
Pogostemon erectus
Blue willow Hygro
Pygmy chain sword
Marino algae ball
A ton of-
dwarf water lettuce,
Amazon frogbit,
Salvinia oblongifolia (really cool leaves that resemble a cat’s tongue), and
Too much duckweed
Some Pothos hanging out of tank too

Fauna:
12 Embers Tetras
3 Amano Shrimp
+\- 20 Cherry Shrimp brood
Pink Ramshorn Snail and brood

This tank has been going for about 3 months now and has really matured well in such a quick time. Seeded with plenty of genetically superb bacteria. I am always adding commercial bacteria solutions and mixing medias amongst my other tanks to hopefully maintain a constant influx of fresh strong and varied genetics.
As with most of my tanks, I make many Walstad methods but do about a 30% wc once a month.
I dose occasionally and intermittently with Seachem florish and excel. No algae after the brown diatoms I always get in new tanks, high gh here in this part of CA.
No signs of stress in the stock. I’m def ready to clear out some of these floaters too.

Thanks and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59F93AE8-8707-45F0-A955-900D25C81DCF_1544725581757.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	873899  

Name:	4A6B23AF-7619-448E-9E3F-82CC39702C1F_1544725682503.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	873905  

Name:	AB442AD3-9065-456D-A2A0-EDD3EC3D00BE_1544725698056.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	873907  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very nicely done.

Can you explain what you mean by the addition of "genetically superb bacteria" into your aquarium? Interesting.
I was unaware that you could select particular bacterial supplements that were genetically superior to others.
What are these supplements?
Im assuming that you are saying, then ( and correct me if I am wrong), that the addition of bacterial supplements from various sources ( even after your tanks bio-filter is well-established) makes an aquarium eco-system genetically superior from others that do not add these bacteria?
Is this the basic philosophy of the Walstad method?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Very nice looking tank. I have been digging the blackwater recently too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I’m no microbiologist but from what I know of genetics having a variety of different bacteria coming from different backgrounds allows for a better gene pool. These different populations have undergone stressors and conditions that may differ slightly from one tank to another. So it’s kind of a selective breeding type game. I know, I know, bacteria does not sexually reproduce however, in favorable conditions they can undergo a sort of gene sharing called genetic recombination. So it’s not strict science with tangibles in my work here and he’ll its may not make any difference. But allowing for a lot of different sources allows for more strong genetics at an altruistic level and I’m happy with my theory. This would be a great area for some doctoral research if one could get sponsored. So several companies (Seachem, Fluval, Brightwell, API, tetra, etc) have liquid bacterial solutions to “seed” your aquarium. I like to grab a bottle here and there especially if I see a brand I haven’t used or haven’t used in a while. Sharing media amongst tanks and even with trusted hobbyist friends. So in the end it may not be doing anything to help but it isn’t doing anything to harm. And honestly almost anytime I end up losing a fish in many of my tanks, I just lose it, can’t find it. It’s just rots away, gets eaten, or what not. But nary a trace of ammonia or nitrates, so I’m going to credit my genetically superb bacteria. I started to pay attention to this about 5 years ago and I really feel my method holds some water.

Walstad method is about a semi closed system with minimal input. You should read up on it. I have done a few of them and currently keep a couple of small bowl using the method. Pretty great stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode