3Likes
  • 2 Post By anfield
  • 1 Post By sfsamm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tree stump nano- stocking

Setting up a new 7.5 gallon nano tank with this tree stump with roots. Planted with anubias, cyperus helferi, dwarf hairgrass and moss to come. Low tech with excel and ferts as needed. Tank has been up and running for a week now. Filtration is Mignon 150 with some biobeads and purigen added. See attached pic.

I plan to add some cherry shrimp and chili rasboras (5-7). Question is how what else can I put in there? I regularly monitor ammonia and nitrate levels and can do regular water changes.

What about other nano fish? Can I add another 5 axelrod rasboras (less than 1 inch). What about bottom dwellers like a school of pygmy corys? I dont want anything that burrows in the sand though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181206_231850.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	873889  

Rhaethe and Cinnamonamon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 PM
Planted Member

In a 7.5 I'd stick with shrimp only or shrimp plus one schooling nano fish. Two will look disorganized and messy and will absolutely over crowd the fish. Water changes don't fix that stress.

Just my 2

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
In a 7.5 I'd stick with shrimp only or shrimp plus one schooling nano fish. Two will look disorganized and messy and will absolutely over crowd the fish. Water changes don't fix that stress.

Just my 2

You are probably right. So I will choose between the boraras and the Axelrod. But would be nice to have something stay down between the roots such as the pygmy corys

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@anfield I've never had pygmy corys just stay at the bottom, they always seemed to spend more time mid- or event top layer. Chili rasboras will look amazing though!

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:33 AM
Planted Member

I'm not huge with Cories but I've also heard they especially pygmies they don't spend all their time at the bottom... Plus the shrimps will be all over the ground and the plants you won't need bottom fish

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool. Any thoughts about having a solitary dwarf crayfish in there as well?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Planted Member

That’s a cool piece of decor.

I agree with above: the shrimp will give you a bottom population (and everywhere else), and keep fish to one single breed in a group, like the chilis. Another type of fish in there would not be as nice, to me, as 10 chilis. Behavior from a larger group is worth the limitation.

As others said, pygmy cories go everywhere. They’re all over the place in my 40b, including grazing at the surface under the duckweed, along the leaves of Aponogeton, and among the rock piles. They’re not bottom dwellers.

I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks all!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode