Getting Back Into It - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting Back Into It

So I bought myself a Fluval Spec V for Christmas. I've been looking at them for a long long time, but when I moved I tore down all my tanks so it's been awhile since I've had a tank. I don't have the tank yet, and I plan on doing a fishless cycle, but i want to have a flora/fauna list down with a game plan before it gets here. Planning is one of my favorite things. I have a few questions concerning the flora for my tank regarding the stock light and co2.

I know that the light has been upgraded since the earlier model, but by how much? Could it support medium light plants?

I've seen modded use of the Fluval mini pressurized 20g co2 kit and was thinking of either going with that (money and space), or dosing with flourish excel for co2. What would be better?

The substrate i went with is the fluval plant and shrimp stratum. I got two 4.4lb bags.

I plan on switching the activated carbon for purigen in the filter and drilling a few holes in the outlet tub on the pump for water circulation in the pump cavity so i can also house the heater in there. I haven't selected a heater just yet though.

Below is my current list, subject to change of course.

I wanted to go with a singular mystery snail, but it seems that their ph requirements is higher than everything else. Ground cover is between dwarf hairgrass and dwarf baby tears. I really like baby tears, but it may be more advanced that what I will be able to provide. Midground is Pogostemon Helferi. I really want to be able to have this in my tank. Any suggestions/substitutions?

Here is a drawing of what i want it to look close to. I haven't bought the hardscape yet, but i have time.

I'm open to suggestions. Thank you for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sketch1544366022752.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	873727  

Click image for larger version

Name:	florafauna.PNG
Views:	87
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	873729  

Tags
beginner, fluval spec v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode