• 1 Post By Quagulator
  • 1 Post By ssr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
ssr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Annubias nana leaves becoming brown and melting

Hi, I am very new to aquatic plants and planted fish tanks. I started a nano tank 3 weeks ago with 2 annubias nana plants and added a Betta fish with 2 Nerite snails just a week ago. The plants were turning slightly brown after the first week or so. But within the past past 1 week, I noticed that the leaves are totally brown, they are falling off easily and melting with only the frames/veins left (Photos attached). I wonder what could be the cause. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181205_211812.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	873601  

Name:	IMG_20181206_134133.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	873603  

Name:	IMG_20181205_211806.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	873605  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Do you have any photos of the plant before it melted back? It's really hard to tell what is could have been at this point..
sfsamm likes this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
ssr
Algae Grower

Hi, yes. I took these pictures, when I added the fish 7 days ago. They are not very prominently visible though, but you should get an idea how they looked a week ago. The colour is probably a bit enhanced.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181206_213943.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	873625  

Name:	IMG_20181206_214002.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	873627  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Assuming you purchased these at the LFS, the anubias were probably emersed grown, not submersed grown. Add these to a new tank that may have not been completely cycled and that's probably the cause of the issues. I started up a new tank about a year ago with 6 anubias, about 33% did the same thing, just melted and died. If the rhizome remains green, keep it and the leaves will grow back. If the entire rhizome melts or turns brown, toss it, it's dead.

Last edited by Ken Keating1; 12-06-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Editing
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:20 PM
Algae Grower

Lack of Iron and Phosphate?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
ssr
Algae Grower

Thanks. I bought the plants from a local pet shop. There the plants were fully submersed in water. I did not (and probably still don't) have much idea about submersed or emersed growth. I will check if the rhizome is okay or not.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
The LFS will submersed the plants in a display tank. But most likely they were emeresed grown at the aquatic nursery and only arrived at the LFS a few days earlier. See here and here for sites that explain the differences.

One of the better places to purchase submersed grown plants are from The Planted Tank members here on the For Sale/Trade Forum. Highly recommended, I much prefer to purchase here as opposed to the LFS.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Are you using any fertilizer. If not the plants are probably starving for nutrients like N, P, K. Ca, Mg, S, Cl ( the macro nutrients) or Fe, Mn, B, Zn, Cu, Mo,Ni (the micro nutrients). A fertilizer like Nilocg.com Thrive would probably work
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
ssr
Algae Grower

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
The LFS will submersed the plants in a display tank. But most likely they were emeresed grown at the aquatic nursery and only arrived at the LFS a few days earlier. See here and here for sites that explain the differences.

One of the better places to purchase submersed grown plants are from The Planted Tank members here on the For Sale/Trade Forum. Highly recommended, I much prefer to purchase here as opposed to the LFS.
Hi, I live in Germany actually. I will try to find a seller that sells submerged grown plant here or put up a post to know if someone in the forum sells in Germany. Thanks for the info.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Are you using any fertilizer. If not the plants are probably starving for nutrients like N, P, K. Ca, Mg, S, Cl ( the macro nutrients) or Fe, Mn, B, Zn, Cu, Mo,Ni (the micro nutrients). A fertilizer like Nilocg.com Thrive would probably work
I started the tank just 3 weeks ago. I have bought a fertilizer that i will add, but not added yet.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode