• 1 Post By Gasol1
  • 4 Post By Gasol1
  • 1 Post By CMcNam
  • 1 Post By Thelongsnail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone using the Ultum UNS 9.1 gallon long?

Iím considering a tank for my office, a second one as I have Spec V there already.

My local store has both the UNS and the Mr Aqua and the even shallower UNS looks nice to me. I can scape and trim while on conference calls and not get wet.

Either way thinking of the Finnex Stingray to go low light and likely the Finnex 360. The credenza is pre drilled for c9 outer wires so I could put a larger canister underneath but I think thatís more than needed. Sometimes I think an aqua clear 20 would work fine and since the display area will never be that sleek I can cover the side pictures or books etc.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lots of views but maybe these tanks aren’t popular yet. I ended up buying one with a finnex 360 filter, cobalt neotherm heater and finnex stingray. Used some leftover up Aqua sand and picked up some petrified wood. Still playing with the scape, however it’s looking good in the office so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB9D7BC9-7E5C-442C-BB34-C8288CBFF2EF.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	873591  

Fisherking likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Algae Grower

Man, that is a great looking tank. So many cool dimensions out there now.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Awesome tank! How do you like it so far? I am building a floating shelf tank and I decided to go with the UNS 9 gallon versus the slightly larger Mr. Aqua 12 gallon, due to weight capacity of the shelf. Let me know how you like the light fixture. That is what I'm researching right now!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim Shevchuk View Post
Awesome tank! How do you like it so far? I am building a floating shelf tank and I decided to go with the UNS 9 gallon versus the slightly larger Mr. Aqua 12 gallon, due to weight capacity of the shelf. Let me know how you like the light fixture. That is what I'm researching right now!
I am certainly no expert. The tank is just under 36Ē so Iím mostly happy that the light will sit on it without the plastic legs. Very low profile and the two other finnex lights I have have proven durable and water resistant. The tank is only 8Ē tall so with a few inches of substrate the light is not much above the substrate so any decent light should be fine for a low tech setup.

Tank itself is very eye catching. The 45 degree edges have a nice look.

Cant decide what to put in it. Shrimp for sure. Donít want to repeat from my others but may repeat Pygmy Cories. Considering as many embers as it can handle as well. Or fewer sparkling gourami.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated photo, moved filter media and stuff from other tanks, bought plants here on this forum. Liking it a lot, makes the day go by faster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5071FEE1-CEC6-4FB5-8C2E-919DDCD4F9F1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	874241  

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 01:33 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasol1 View Post
Liking it a lot, makes the day go by faster.
I feel you on that. I have a small tank in my office and whenever I feel like I'm losing focus I watch it for a couple minutes and get back to work. It's like a little mental reset.
Gasol1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Really love the dimensions, I wish these were available in the UK! The rummynose must look great swimming about in there.

What's the red plant in the back center, just next to the stones? And do you inject co2?
Gasol1 likes this.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How is there no algae with that light and no tank depth?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The red plant is an alternanthera reineckii, two came in the package I purchased and I placed one in my home tank to see how it does in different situations. No CO2. I travel a lot for work so coworkers will have to feed and top of water. None of my 3 tanks have CO2. I have already noticed the red background stem plants are growing in green tips since they came from someone who used CO2.

I added a poor quality iPhone video to show a little of how they swim.

As for the lack of algae, crossing fingers as the tank is still pretty new. I have found 6 hours of light and floaters usually keep algae to a minimum. My home tank I never have much and hardly need to clean the glass. The red root floaters there go from covering 1/4 to 2/3 the tank in a week or two. This new one has red root floaters from home and frogbit together and both are growing well. I wouldn’t mind some biofilm and algae as I moved some cherries into the tank when I swapped the 5 year old office spec V to a dwarf puffer tank. As the tank matures I am thinking 1-2 stiphodons and call it a day.
Attached Files
File Type: mov C8338851-20CF-4E21-BECE-DB7C706F7F80.MOV (630.4 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Gasol1; 12-23-2018 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Fix typos

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode