My First nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First nano

Hi guys;

It’s my first time posting in this forum and my first aquarium in over 8 years...so I’m rusty!!

I have a fluval flex 57l and have set up the tank shown in the image - I wanted to use a sandy substrate and have pushed root tabs in close to most of the plants. I have dosed with a liquid fertiliser too; which I will do weekly.

When it comes to cycling this particular tank/starting the cycle should I try and find ammonia? Or should I just add a couple of pellets of fish food?

Regarding PH my tap water is 7.3 but I want to aim around 6.8; how can I get it lower?

What’s the best organism I can get to sift through the sand but not uproot my plants too much/do I need it?

And lastly but not least - should I dose CO2; and if so - how do I know what rate to run it at in this sized aquarium?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3B0EDC6-BC47-4F0F-868D-B629FACC85D2_1542382796847.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	872555  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

See photo below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43BE0F7E-0A0C-48C2-9F1A-CF899C4F628A_1542382904548.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	872557  

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Duhra View Post
Hi guys;

I have dosed with a liquid fertiliser too; which I will do weekly.

Which fertilizer and how much?

When it comes to cycling this particular tank/starting the cycle should I try and find ammonia? Or should I just add a couple of pellets of fish food?

Plant the tank, get the plants growing well and the tank should cycle itself over the next month - 2 months. Use ammonia / bacteria in a bottle / seeded media for a faster cycle if you need to have livestock earlier

Regarding PH my tap water is 7.3 but I want to aim around 6.8; how can I get it lower?

Use RO water, gH boosted. Or use CO2 to drop pH.

What’s the best organism I can get to sift through the sand but not uproot my plants too much/do I need it?

Pygmy cory cats for sure! Melanesian trumpet snails, shrimp.

And lastly but not least - should I dose CO2; and if so - how do I know what rate to run it at in this sized aquarium?

You don't "dose" CO2 per say... rather 'inject it' you can dose an Excel / glutaraldehyde product, but it's not CO2 nor is it a replacement for CO2. CO2 is not necessary, but it helps a lot. Aim for a full 1.0 drop in pH in tank water from using CO2
See bold

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd also recommend Malaysian Trumpet Snails to sift sand - they never stop digging!

Pygmy Corys are also great, just make sure to get the Fluval Flex filter guards as they really like getting into the back compartment

Journal

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies already!! Really appreciate it.

The liquid fertiliser is Easy-life Profito; but It says to dose once weekly and I also added easy life carbo.

Do I continue adding Easy-life Carbo with CO2 or is the CO2 itself sufficient enough?

The filter intake guards seem to be hard to source here in Australia; do you know anywhere you can order them online - can I just use some sort of mesh?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got mine off Amazon but couldn't find then on Amazon.au when looking just now. You could use some black mesh and cable ties to cover the gaps, you'd just need to keep it clear of detritus and make sure livestock can't get stuck in there. This only matters if you'll be stocking nano fish of course

Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode