Deep Blue 3g long, new build. - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Deep Blue 3g long, new build.

Hey, long time without posting anything new. I made a spontaneous fish buy on a Betta the other day....she was just so irresistible! She is an adorable dumbo earred female. I have a deep blue 3 gallon long tank that I bought awhile ago when the opportunity presented itself. I知 thinking I知 going with a sunken log look with some small cork rounds that I have already.

Being that this tank is so shallow I知 just going to put down some thin substrate and not mess with dirt. I have purchased some Anubias Nana Petite and a banana plant. I知 thinking of buying some buce too but I am unfamiliar with them and their light requirements as this is going to be a lower light, lower filtration if any tank.

Pics to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

How long would someone say it takes for cork to become water logged? I usually only utilize mopani wood as it sink right away, this waiting part is tedious...

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Cork floats like mad. I'd just go with a different wood. Buce I just treat like fancy anubias, but they do just fine in higher light. Just have to keep algae off the leaves
xjasminex likes this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
Cork floats like mad. I'd just go with a different wood. Buce I just treat like fancy anubias, but they do just fine in higher light. Just have to keep algae off the leaves

Thanks for the insight!

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I an intrigued at the thought of a 3 gallon long...can't wait to see pictures!
xjasminex likes this.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post
I an intrigued at the thought of a 3 gallon long...can't wait to see pictures!

Thanks for the interest! Since my cork log idea is kinda out the window I値l need to find a new piece of wood that fits the size of the tank. Just got in my heaters, Amazon is great! I purchased the aqueon mini heaters, the 10, 7.5 and 5 watt ones. I wanted to see what one size wise would be better suited. They make those heaters soooo small now!

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here痴 the heater I知 going to go with, I figure with the hardscape and plants it should be the right size for the tank. The tank is a little on the long side, so I知 trying to get the right wood to fill it without it being crowded. It痴 going to be viewed from all angles except the back so I want it to look good.

Right now I知 boiling some manzita that I have had. Im trying to manipulate it while it痴 hot to help it fit better in the tank so hopefully that works or else I値l have to go look for something different at the pet stores.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 03:54 AM
Planted Member

Super cute! What is it, about 18 inches long? Good luck manipulating your hardscape! I was surprised at how quickly I filled up my 5 gallon (portrait) tank...I had been considering a Betta to go with my shrimp and snail, but I just don't think there is enough length in any direction for any fish to swim!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes, this tank is 18in L, 7in H and 6in W, interesting foot print.

This is what I have so far for hardscape...

I plan to attach the Anubias Nana Petite to the wood in its crevices of the branches. Hopefully they are small enough and don稚 look to big for the scape. As of right now the are holding my plants due to the cold weather...

My substrate is a high CEC clay sub that I have had for years that I buy from Devin at Aqua Verdi. I知 a big fan of it due to the size and color. I threw in some quartz looking gravel that I also have had for years and bought at petco on super clearance just because I liked it.

I have always liked the idea of having a gemstone tank but never quite felt like any of my other tanks were the right style. So far I知 digging this one for that theme! I値l have to go looking for some stones and crystals that I have somewhere and see how they look.

I am also planning on having a miniature riparium plant in the back. I have old planters from aqua Verdi but am trying to figure out a way to disguise it/ turn it into part of the scape. I have a decent amount of small round cork bark. I had a thought I could cut it in half and glue it to the planter. Any brainstorming ideas are welcome!!!

Kehy and Cinnamonamon like this.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

Ahh, I love mini long tanks! Can't wait to see it finished!
xjasminex likes this.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I知 coming to the conclusion that this tank needs flow. I put my Red Sea nano filter on it tonight. We will see how it goes. I知 not a fan of it. I was hoping to keep the equipment hidden mostly. I知 still trying to figure out how plan out the riparium type feature without actually seeing the planter...
I have considered taking some cork bark and cutting it to just fit under the rim of the tank and wedging it in to make a compartment then drilling a hole through for an output for a water pump. I could drill intake holes throughout the cork. Then my planter, pump and heater could be hidden and I壇 still have room for cuttings of plants too.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love that piece of wood. It looks perfect for that tank. It provides a dominant centerpiece while still leaving plenty of room for your betta.
xjasminex likes this.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
I love that piece of wood. It looks perfect for that tank. It provides a dominant centerpiece while still leaving plenty of room for your betta.

Thanks! I bought them at the same time. I had to heat up and manipulate the wood though because it was too wide but now it works!

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Thanks! I bought them at the same time. I had to heat up and manipulate the wood though because it was too wide but now it works! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you just use heat? or did you use steam? The reason I ask is that I have a bunch of dry manzanita that I would like to shape. I have heard that dry wood can be steamed and then tied or bent with a bonsai clamp to bend into the shape that you want.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
Did you just use heat? or did you use steam? The reason I ask is that I have a bunch of dry manzanita that I would like to shape. I have heard that dry wood can be steamed and then tied or bent with a bonsai clamp to bend into the shape that you want.

I boiled it then used a towel to grip it, so I didn稚 burn my hands and squished it together. I did it a couple of times. Then when I figured it was ok I put rubber bands on it super tight and let it dry.

rosyrobyn likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode