Looking for advice on a 7.9 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thumbs up Looking for advice on a 7.9 gallon

First off thank you everyone for all the awesome info on here! I am on here often reading all of the things you guys share, I just don't post very often.

I'll cut to the chase about the tank:
size: 7.9 gallon (fluval flora kit) (35 cm tall x 30 cm wide x 30 cm deep)
lighting: 2 Hagen Fluval PCL13 MINI lights (florescent 13 watts each)
filter: Fluval Nano Aquarium Filter
substrate: Fluval stratum
heater: aqueon pro 50 watt
CO2: In tank ceramic diffuser (~30-35 ppm via drop checker)
Ferts: I have been dosing PPS Pro (KH2PO4, KNO3, K2SO4, and CSM+B) but am thinking about switching to EI (Thoughts?)

live stock: 1 male Betta, Drax is his name

water: tap water conditioned with Prime and occasionally API Stress Coat (GH and KH test kit will be here this week.

Questions:
1) I have a Fluval 305 filter from a previous tank, would it be possible to dial it back enough to use it without creating a hurricane for my Betta. I want to use it so I can build an inline CO2 reactor to get the CO2 bubbles out of the tank from the ceramic diffuser. Is there a different filter you would recommend?

2) Does it harm the filter motor to have the flow restricted by an inline valve?
The only other canister filter I have is a Fluval FX5 which I am thinking there is no way that will work, haha!

3) I would really like to upgrade my lights to something that is dimmable that I can dial in. I am thinking the SBReef 16 inch freshwater light would be awesome, is this just a algae farm waiting to happen? I have a 90 gallon that I would like to get going again in a few years that I was thinking the SBReef light would be awesome to switch over to, that is the reasoning for that light. What other lights would you recommend?

I think I covered everything, let me know if is missed some information that you guys need.
Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I can address question number 2. You can safely restrict the Outflow side of a canister, but you shouldn't restrict the Intake side. I can't remember the exact reason so the short answer is something something science something. 😉

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post
I can address question number 2. You can safely restrict the Outflow side of a canister, but you shouldn't restrict the Intake side. I can't remember the exact reason so the short answer is something something science something. 😉

Thanks for the reply kaldurak. Haha! That is awesome news! I guess I'll just give the 305 a try and make some kind of spray bar to go with it. The worst thing that can happen is it doesn't work, haha! Adding this filter will add quite a bit of volume to a setup this small, I think it might benefit from it as long as it isn't a category 5 hurricane in the tank!

Tags
co2, dimmable, filter, light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode