2Likes
  • 1 Post By Edward
  • 1 Post By HGHTECH1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too much lighting???

First I would like to thank all the people that are so dedicated to helping all us newbies. I hope that after a while, I will be able to contribute a little.

I have a Fluval Spec V with an Aqueon Quietflow Submersible Aquarium Utility Pump 600. My lighting consists of an AquaRay Mini 400 Tile LED with 62 PAR at 400mm (330mm above the substrate) with an 80 degree beam angle. My substrate is Carib Sea Eco-Complete, Black. I have a GLA regulator injecting C02 at about 50 bpm while the light is on. I have about five bunches of what I believe to be Crypto Usteriana. My ferts are PPS Pro: macro .5 mil and micro .25 mil daily. I add .5 mil of Excel as well, daily. 50% water change weekly. And one Betta (with no apparent ill-effects due to C02) with two nerite snails.

Now to my question: do you think 12 hours of lighting is too much? My plants are pearling nicely but, I have a continuously mild algae problem. I do plan on carpeting the bottom and adding some other plants but, this is what I have now. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 03:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Problem is it takes hours for CO2 to get to some good levels. To fix it, the valve needs to open at least two hours before lights go on. And for the algae I would change the photoperiod from 12 to 10 hours and see how it works.
mleffler61 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 03:59 PM
Algae Grower

I run my lights around 8-9 hours a day with no issues carpeting dwarf HG and baby tear as long as your CO2 and fert levels are in check. 12 hours a day is a lot of light. Reducing the lighting period will help mitigate your algae problem. Agreed that CO2 needs to start 1-2 hours before lights come on.
mleffler61 likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your advice. I will shorten my photo-period to 10 hours. My C02 is on one hour prior to the lights coming on. I will get the C02 going two hours ahead of the lights and i will keep you guys posted as to the progress. Thanks again for your help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode