Need Help. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need Help.

I have a 15 Us Gallon Planted tank. Dimension is 18X12X18 (LXBXH). Fert Regimen - 1.5 ML Excel daily, Brighty K 8 Ml once in a week, Be green 7 ml weekly, Flourish Advance 3.5 ML weekly, Flourish 1 ML twice in a week Be clear ince in a week. Lighting is 21w led strip DIY, Led blocks of 1.5w each total 16 nos purchased from local market. External filter hang on capcity 650L/Hr. Lights on 4-5 hrs. Weekly 10℅ and monthly 40℅ water change with RO treated water. Substrate ada africana. Age 3 yrs.
My problem is I get dust like substance in abandance even after gravel vac siphoning. this is dust like substance, pooping out even beneath of the substrate within 2 days after siphon. Plants at melting and have irregular growth rate. Please help me. I am tired trying and feel like quitting. Help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

nIladri bAsu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:23 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT.

ADA AquaSoil starts to slowly disintegrate after a couple of years. Africana lasted me about 2 years before turning to mud. Amazonia tends to last a bit longer. The dust you are getting is from AquaSoil.

I do not know if your plant melt is due to that dust but I doubt it. To be safe, post some pictures of the plants as something else could be affecting the growth.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you for your reply. I have enclosed some images for your reference.

nIladri bAsu

Last edited by niladribasu; 10-29-2018 at 02:51 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:44 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
That is a lot of dust. If you touch a leaf with your finger, will the dust come off into the water?

The immidiate problem that I see is that the filter should be removing those particles but it does not. I suspect the reason being the locolized current from the HOB is not enough to cover the whole tank.

In short, you need stronger water current/circulation.

The easiest way to solve that is to get an adequate filter but that is likely to be the most expensive solution. Something along the lines of Eheim 2213 or 2215 will do the job.

Before buying the new filter I would try the following to see if that would be sufficient:

1. Position the HOB in the middle of the back wall and clean the filter pads.
2. Try finer pads in the HOB.
3. Position the HOB on one of the sidewalls and add a small, cheap powerhead (~$10) on the oposite wall. You want the powerhead pointing towards the intake of HOB.
4. Add a second HOB, with both filters spaced evenly across the back wall. Something like AquaClear 30/50/70. I used 2 AquaClear 30 on a 24 x 12 x 14 low tech tank with AquaSoil. The pricing on these fitlers is strange: 70 can be cheaper then 30. They have adjustable flow and getting a larger filter then you think you need is never a mistake.

Personally, I would skip all of the above and just get a decent canister filter. It would clear all that dust off the plants in a day and keep them clean.

Bump: looking at your tank some more, especially the first picture, the AquaSoil is now mostly mud. You might as well just replace it. You can use, say, a 1/2" ID hose to suck it out.

Last edited by OVT; 09-19-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: AquaSoil

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode