How do you guys keep your organic waste down in your nano? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 03:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnasty View Post
Hi all, I'm having trouble with BBA and am starting to see cyanobacteria pop up though it grows very slowly.

I dose Thrive S every day with a water change and inject Co2

My stock is

3 hastatus corydora
1 CPD
1 oto
1 scarlet badis
1 RCS

All of the inhabitants look healthy and are very active. I'd say it's heavily planted but my background plants aren't fully grown to the top of the tank so I'd say the overall plant biomass is at a medium-high level. My water out of the tap is 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 20ppm nitrate

I have a large amount of Biological filtration, I clean my filter weekly, and I use purigen.

Is this a result of overstocking? Is it my water quality out of the tap? The only way to keep the BBA and particularly cyano at bay is to do daily 50% water changes, but that's getting quite old. thoughts?

Hi,

It can't happen be because of your livestock, i believe you have minimal fish, comparing to that plant mass.

What are you water parameters gh/kh/ph ?
Did you change anything on your lightning or schedule ? did you put any new plants to the tank ?

It "might" happen because of low nitrate or high phosphate (test your tap water)

For short term Bba cleaning, get some horned nerite snails and put them over the bba infected plants they will clean it. it works perfectly on my anubias plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
While its not what you thread is about I would like to point out that the oto, cory, and cdp all should be in groups of 6 or more. Don't add more fish. I'd remove them (since all those need a 10g-20g+ and proper shoal size (source https://www.seriouslyfish.com/)) all and get 6-9 smaller pygmy cory. Or just more shrimp (and a lot less feeding since they don't need much)!
20ppm nitrates doesn't sound good, are you using strips or liquid test kit? Strips are notoriously inaccurate. I'd retest with another liquid nitrate kit and remember to shake bottle #2 and the final vial solution like your arm is going to fly off! Just to be sure, tap really shouldn't have such high nitrates (mines 10ppm which sucks but densely planted tanks and understocking fauna helps).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 10:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnasty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteriod View Post
If your doing all that, your more than likely have to reexamine your lighting situation.
Will do... I can't believe I haven't thought about dimming my light. Do you think a 10% drop would be enough to start seeing differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orichid123 View Post
I use siamnes alage eating fish they do a great job at keeping this algae in check
Can they go in a 5 gallon? I've noticed that my oto goes after it fiendishly. His stomach is ALWAYS visibly full and he chows down in the BBA, but he alone isn't enough it get it all and he also seems to struggle a bit to remove it from the hard surfaces, though he tries hard enough that I'm proud of him lol
NO, less fish not more. SAEs belong in groups and not in anything less than a 20g. I would recommend a larger tank for them than a 20 as they grow up to 6ish inches. Definitely recommend dimming lights as well as redoing your stocking choices

At least I can grow Algae

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode