Looking for discussion on proper lighting for an Eco-Sphere - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for discussion on proper lighting for an Eco-Sphere

If you have an Eco-Sphere you know the recommendations are for indirect light. The manufacturer does not provide a lot of details.

I just wrote to them and asked if they had more specific rules, such as lumens or better yet PAR and a photoperiod, and they replied to say they do not make specific recommendations because each sphere is different.

My last sphere bit the dust, well, the shrimp did because I think I had too much light. I want to try again, and I want to keep the sphere in an interior location and use aquarium lights and timers to give it exactly the right amount of light. Maybe a little LED fixture like you'd put over a betta bowl would work.

But... What is the right amount of light? If you've looked in to this I would love to know what you found.

(BTW, my first Eco-Sphere had live shrimp for over 10 years, until a housecleaner broke it. My second one, the guys bit the dust in under a year despite similar conditions. So, maybe there is something to their claim that providing detailed lighting recommendations is futile. Still seems like they could get us into the ballpark.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Most recommendations tell people to keep fish tank out of direct sunlight. It may be true if you have no plants or only lightly planted. I hang two planted shrimp bowls (see pic in avatar) by a west facing window that receive 4 hours direct sunlight daily and are doing fine. They are eco self sufficient with no filter, no heater, no aeration and no artificial light. I dont do water change except topping with nutrient rich water from my high tech tank. I rarely feed the shrimp that thrive on naturally occurring algae, bio films, micro critters, and decaying plant tissues. It works because they are heavily planted from start to out compete algae, and high energy input from sunlight drive the food chain.

You mentioned your first eco sphere shrimp tank last for 10 year despite too much light. If it wasn’t working it couldn’t last that long and why do you need to change the approach.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode