ADA Nanos - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeffww

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
ADA Nanos

I had to move and tear down my previous ADA 45P. But now I am back at it...

30C last trimmed Aug 14.
Mini-M never trimmed.

30C Set up for 5 weeks now with CRS from Sean. Planning to let this run wild as a long-term tank. Only change I want to make is grow more hyptis and possibly replace the rotala in the back with a more colorful one. But I will wait a few more months to see if it will color up.

Gear:
Shiruba canister
GLA Regulator (dual manifold to feed the mini-M)
Kamoer Autodoser using NilocG EI ferts + Seachem Advance. Although I go light on the macros to keep nitrates lower and let my GH booster take care of potassium deficiency.
Twinstar 300e

Mini-M iwagumi, 2 days old. Going to be a desktop betta "pond". I think I will add some eleocharis dulcis or montevidensis to grow emersed in the back left after the other plants get established and I know how much space I have.

Gear:
Shiruba HOB
Kessil A80
NilocG Thrive+

Between these tanks I'm growing:
H. pinnatifida
Staurogyne 'porto velho'
Ludwigia ' super red'
Downoi 'red'
E. parvula
H. 'cuba'
Hydrocotyle tripartita 'mini japan'
Anubias nana
Hyptis lorentziana
Myrio mini
Rotala rotundifolia 'pink' (dubious)
Nymphoides 'taiwan'

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Haven't been happy with the API nitrate tests for the CRS tank. I read anywhere from 5-20 ppm nitrate. Bought a lamotte testtab kit to get a better grasp of the water conditions.

Fluval Spec V

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hope you don't mind me asking but where'd you get your spray bar in the first picture and what are the diameters/ fitting diameters? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

comes with the shiruba canister filters. I think the finnex canister filters are the same thing but rebranded. Sunsun and azoo might also make something similar. I'm sure they all come from similar factories.
BrysonZheng likes this.

Fluval Spec V

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 05:45 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Rotala colorata is very similar to rotundifolia but has a lot more color, especially in low tech.

The shrimp tank is fabulous.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks. It just went through a trim and I forgot to take a picture before it. Oh well. I'll have an update in a month or so.

My Hach Nitrate kit arrived. 20ppm nitrates AFTER a water change. Which explains why I am down to about 15 shrimp from 30. The API kit read about 10ppm before a water change.

For anyone interested in this kit. I got it from here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Although it was around 65 when I bought it.

We'll see where this goes.

Fluval Spec V

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 02:20 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just got a 30-c on the weekend and looking to set up my first tank with only CRS, and maybe some Maculata Rasboras.

How is the Kessil A80 on this size tank?

Those plants in your pic look like they've been there a lot longer than 5 weeks?

Still trying to decide on a filter, either internal filter something cheap and small or just get a Fluval C2 HOB.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think the kessil A80 is a perfect light for a 30c. Especially for a shrimp tank as the color is more natural and the dimming feature will make growing lower light plants simple. I would just get a HOB for the 30c. I kind of wish I got an AC20 instead of the canister.

The tank is definitely only around 6 weeks old now. Here's Day 1 on 8/17.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	day 1.png
Views:	87
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	868519  

Fluval Spec V

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

4 months later and the tanks have changed a lot. Although they may be a bit worse for wear because I went on vacation for 10 days. I essentially did a start over regarding all the stems in both tanks. Picture update soon. Most notable updates:
30c-
-Replaced the entire RHS with cryptocoryne 'tropica' to reduce my maintenance load.
-Got bored of Rotala sp 'pink' always staying greenish yellow. It only seems to turn pink when allowed to crawl across the surface of the tank. I think if I had a deeper tank it would be pink. This may also explain why AFA can get it to turn pink in their 180cm tank. In theirs, only the longest stems will turn pink. Maybe there is a height requirement? Replaced with "h'ra" after I got back from vacation last week.
-removed the moss. It was harboring a lot of rhizobium I've been battling for about 2 months. This algae is monstrous and embeds itself inside the plant interstitium. Topical treatments don't work on it, at least curatively. Be warned when buying plants from other users I guess....

Mini-M
-wife got a baby betta. It is cute.
-similarly just beat the rhizobium menace using some creative techniques... involving pulling up all the HC. replanting with faster growing monte carlo. Then trimming very aggressively. Also planted hydrocotyle tripartita to keep the plant mass high enough to prevent algae.

Current fish in mini M:
10+ amano shrimp
1 male betta ~2 months old
3 otocinclus

30c:
6 phoenix rasbora
3 dwarf pencils
2 otocinclus
6+ amano shrimp
2 sparkling gourami.

I gave up on the shrimp after my tank crashed in november. Killing almost every single shrimp, including amanos. It happened when the municipality changed water sources during the winter or something. Or maybe they increased chloramine dosage to deal with algae die off. Either way, I do a water change one night and the next morning all the CRS have died and a thick bacterial film was coating everything in the tank.

I will have pictures soon.

Fluval Spec V

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode