New to planted tanks - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kfactor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to planted tanks

Hi am new to planted tank and got a cheap 10g that I want to do a aio . I was woundering that u guys would recommend for a light and substrate. I was thinking of using the ada soils . I have been working on my aio tank and itís almost ready any help would be great and am sure all have more questions that I hope u guys can help me with .

Bump: How do u post pics on here lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got my new mini dc return pump today for the tank and got it all hooked up and I was a little disappointed it was to much flow I thought it would have turned down way more . I think am going to try just a cheap low flow power head .
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would Like to get a light for the tank soon and was looking to get a fixture that I can grow nigh to med plants with . I was thinking of the Kessel a80 or the current USA pro what would u guys recommend?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey! I highly recommend https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/
It helped me a lot. I started in the hobby just earlier this year.

Lighting and other suggestions are dependent on the tank, and your goals specific to the tank. Definitely read through the site so you can make a better decision for yourself that best suits your needs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply I never knew it would be so hard to pick a fixture there are so many options out there
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Iíve read so much stuff and watch videos on lighting And am having a hard time choosing one . Am looking to find a light that will go carpet plants and some more higher light stuff . I want to be able to adjust the intensity of the light . I would also like to get co2 down the road too
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

For a 10gallon.. if you have a lot of patience, try getting a Chihiros A-series which come with dimmers. I get my stuff from Hinterfeld. The shipping is hella long though.
If not, maybe a Fluval 3.0? A bit pricey, but it's definitely customizable, to a certain extent, and would be high light for smaller tanks like the 10 gallon.
If you have more cash, I think the most customizable light would be an AI Prime Fresh. It's not THE best light, and you can google around to see the negative comments about it, but it has high light, super customizable, and overall a good product. It would be fairly too big for your 10gallon, but assuming you upgrade to a 20gallon or something like that, then it would be good. And if you go even bigger, you can just buy another unit and use both at the same time.

Twinstar is another option, but to dim it, you need to buy a 3rd party dimmer. Glass Aqua sells them now for a fair(imo) price.

Definitely check for your local shops if they carry the products or are willing to ship them in for you!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply and all the lighting options . I really like the look of the kessel a80 but so many bad reviews. Am going to have a look at all the ones u mentioned
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just looked at the ai fresh and I really like it just have to look around and find it I live in canada how are some of u guys liking it ?
swarley likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I went with the ai prime canít wait to get it am also just welding up a light mount for it too .
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How do I post pics on here I want to share my build with u guys to see if I guys see anything I can change or recommend .
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:22 AM

Thats great. You can use the ADA aqua soil. It is one of the best in the market. although, any soil you buy will degrade over time. my did after 1 year of usage. Nutrition value degrades. So i would like to recommend you to use micronutrients in your tank ADA has lots of variant for that. this will increase the lifespan of your soil.
Regarding the light, you can use any light above 7500K . if you are planning to go for low tech plant then go for 1 watt per gallon. if you are adding co2 to your tank and planting high tech plants double the requirements. 2 watts per gallon.
If you are confused with adding fish, you can add a bunch of shrimps, and Tetra fish, glowlight tetra fish would be better.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode