bringing my eheim aquastyle 9 back to life - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
bringing my eheim aquastyle 9 back to life

Okay, so... first of all I have no idea how to turn photos on here rightside up. So if anyone could tell me I'd appreciate it and fix it. - Below is my' eheim aquastyle9 as it currenty is...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_210939.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	867495

but a long long time ago it was once paradise for 5 lucky guppies and two endlers. Here's a video of it:

(If the video doesn't work please tell me. It seems to work just fine on youtube just search the title there.)

I came into a period of my' life where everything was falling apart, personal and financial issues, I couldn't afford to replace parts or even the water additives. Fish were dying, algae began to take over and the tank just sat there for about two, maybe three years. It made me happy when it was healthy and I'd like to restore it back to what it once was or maybe even surpass it.

The pendant light that came with the tank does not reliably stay on, the second one has a cold washed out color to it which I do not care for but it stays on no problem. The color of the original pendant has a warmer effect, both pendants are the same type "power led full spectrum daylight not actinic or mixed actinic daylight" but the difference in color is very noticable, I'm concerned about buying a new one only to have the same cold washed out look again. But I do like the physical appearance of the fixture itself and the metal arm it attaches to. It looks nice. I've thought about getting a kessil a80sun for its color and intensity features but I'm concerned the thick black goose neck and clamp would look a bit caustic. There are very few photos of that light on a planted tank, I'm not sure there are any of it on the aquastyle. I'm sure at 15 watts compared to the powerled which is 7 if I remember correctly it will not only be as bright but offer more brightness if I need or want it.

I've also been thinking about possibly going with an eheim canister filter fitted with glass lilly pipes. I've never used them before and don't really know where to begin with them. I like the corner filter this tank came with but they're becoming difficult to find online, same with the light fixture and the tank itself actually. I'm not sure if Eheim is discontinuing these tank kits or if they already have. I really like the overall appearance of the assembled aquastyle but I wonder if I can do better or at least as good and also have better performance and options. A concern about the lilly pipes is if say I get a circle or "spinning" outflow, will that cause some of the surface agitation that the corner filter provided? Is that actually necessary for a planted aquarium? I believe I read somewhere that it is necessary or at least beneficial in some way. - I remember that there were times I had wished that the corner filter were stronger or better at cleaning and clarifying the water I'm sure it was more than effective for a 9 gallon tank but it was pretty small.. I'm just wondering if a canister filter would be overkill? I will be able to afford one however. It's been awhile since I was in this hobby but if I remember correctly filtration and lots of it can't hurt. If it can help me prevent any suffering or dead fish then I figure it would be worth purchasing.

The tank in its' hey day used no co2 injection, only seachem additives such as excel and various ferts which were dosed throughout the week. I would do a single weekly water change of about 20 to 30% using water I had aged for at least 7 days. I think that was what made my' tank finally look the way I thought it was going to when I first got it lol... I was thinking about using different plants this time. Instead of water wisteria I thought I would possibly have some kind of ludwigia in the background and pearlweed more at the fore and mid which I would allow to grow upward in a not too carpet-y way. My' previous choice in plants I selected because they were beginner plants and readily available. I was and still am happy with how it turned out but I think this time I want a less "fringey", "frondsy", explosive, and prickly boisterous look ehehe… Something more "soft" and serene. Featuring plants with more rounded leaves much like the cardinal plants I had growing at the foreground in the video above. Soft serene and tranquil like an undisturbed cave spring-fed "silty" hidden sanctuary inhabited by small colorful and happy little fish - if that makes any sense. I'll post photos of the plants I want to use that I feel have that vibe or at least aspects lol It's more of a sublime flowery look and not so much "I'm growing marijuana in my aquarium" lol I think I'll have guppies living in this tank again once the plants are happy and steadily growing and the water is cycled/established etc.

Name:  92242028_15d3019c11.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:	4868230454_7513bf249e_z.jpg
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	867509

Name:	ADXNB (21).jpg
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	867511

Name:  ADXNB (1).png
Views: 63
Size:  268.0 KB

What do you guys think? I want the layout to be essentially the same just different plants. I might keep some of the rotala indica, my' anubias and some of the little java ferns that for some reason never grow beyond medium lol.

Last edited by glassgupper; 08-20-2018 at 10:58 PM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode