Anubias Pimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Anubias Pimp tank

Tank: .75 gallon plastic little 'betta' tank (maybe I'll upgrade this?)
Light: To be improved. Some 2700k warm reading light
Substrate: home-collected sand
Filter: Penn-Plax Cascade 170 Internal Filter

Plants:
-Anubias Nana
-Anubias Nana 'Golden'
-Anubias Nana 'Petite'
-Anubias Nana 'Milky way'
-Anubias Nana 'Pinto'
-Anubias Nana 'White'
-Sprigs of some unknown moss

Fauna:
-some small snails
-x1 Cambarellus Diminutus Dwarf crawfish

I bought this tank on a whim to support a newly reopened LPS. It came as a kit including a light, but really I should've passed on the light and saved a few bucks because I've ended up not using it. When I was there I saw this nice piece of wood that would've been totally overshadowed in a larger tank, but here, I thought I could make it work.

As for the filter, it claims it can filter up to 10 gallons. Bull. I don't doubt its claim to filter up to 45 gallons an hour though. But a filter small enough to fit into a 6" cube tank, with room to spare is almost certainly not big enough for a 10 gallon tank. I did make a modification to it though, in that the output goes to a sprayer disk like what you'd find on an outdoor fountain (actually where I got the parts from). This nullifies the flow greatly, to the point where its workable in the tank. After a few weeks of being set up though, the filter seems to have slowed down some, so I'd say it's great for tanks under 3 gallons that need low flow, if you have the parts to fix it.

I've had great success with anubias in nano/pico tanks, and especially when I use local sand that I mine out of the garden dirt here. No, literally, I dug holes in my garden, and washed the dirt out of the dirt. Plants seem to absolutely love it, so to me at least, it's been worth it.

It sat in my bathroom for a few weeks before I've finally moved it to my bedroom. So far no new tank syndrome, but I went to great lengths to try to avoid that. So far, so good. Just a wee bit of stringy algae that must have come with some of the anubias.

I'll return with better pictures once the cray stops digging up the anubias up front

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode