Another Fluval Spec V - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another Fluval Spec V

I've had this tank for about three years. About a year ago the co2 regulator developed a leak after the first refill, so I just took it out. I originally bought the dual stage regulator by itself off ebay for $70 new. Too good to be true so I wasn't surprised it stopped working. I added the needle valve, check valve, and solenoid.The tank went to crap without co2. Moneywort, crypt and moss was all that survived and not that well. I bought another regulator and it leaked too, figured out I wasn't tightening the regulator to the co2 tank well enough. So I returned the new regulator and went back to my original regulator and it works fine. Pretty dumb mistake.

I was using a current USA light but sold it when I got rid of the co2. I went back to the new improved stock light which is much better than the old one fluval used to provide with their tanks. Light is on 10 hours a day and co2 is on 1 hour before and off 1 hour before the lights.

I make RO water and remineralize with seachem equilibrium, adding 2 grams of equilibrium to 3 gallons of RO water and changing 2.5 gallons a week. The water is 4gh and 0kh and around 120ppm. Dosing EI and using osmocote root tabs. Currently not dosing as I added too much osmocote and ended up over dosing ferts. Everything survived but the plants are little too dark green and I had to move the nerite snail to my other tank until I could do a couple extra water changes. Things seem to be good now.

Stocking list: I bought some Rotala Wallichii, Staurogyne Repens, Lobelia Cardinalis Dwarf, and Echinodorus Parviflorus to start the tank over. I already had the bronze crypt wendtii, bacopa monnieri, anubias nana petite, Hygrophila sp all of which are doing much better with co2. I now know why fissidens fontanus is called the phoenix moss. I had it in the tank before I took out the co2 but it completely died away then suddenly came back when I added co2. Just sprouted right from the gravel, like a phoenix from the ashes.

Livestock: 6 amano shrimp, a few cherry shrimp from my other tank, 1 CPD, 5 neon tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 nerite snail, 1 scarlet badis.

Attached pictures: first one is the most recent then the next is on July 21 and each photo is about a week apart. Last photo is what my tank looked like a year ago when I last had co2.

Here are some more pics from before: http://imgur.com/a/TDGUo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JvWUcsN.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	483.9 KB
ID:	867121  

Name:	FTk7hGi.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	867123  

Name:	7dPa6Gx.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	867125  

Name:	LdkfSNl.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	867127  

Name:	1nZ5cnn.jpg
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	867129  

Name:	vCQJfbO.jpg
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	867131  

Name:	cCLOgZJ.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	867133  

Last edited by r0ck0; 08-15-2018 at 12:10 AM. Reason: add link http://imgur.com/a/TDGUo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode