Tank advice for a new user - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Tank advice for a new user

Hi all! I am very new to planted tanks in general. I am headed off to college soon and they don't allow pets in my dorm. I want a small, preferably low maintenance tank to keep on my desk. I don't want to use fertilizers or C02, but other than that I have no clue what I am doing.

All help and advice is appreciated! (And please keep in mind that I have no clue what I am doing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 12:23 AM
Algae Grower

Google, YouTube, and browse the planted tank. Just about all the basic question you have would have been covered and you can learn other things along the way. From the sound of it youre probably looking for a basic light, low light plants, and low fish bioload.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 12:42 AM
Planted Member

You could keep a small group of shrimps! Depending on your natural water parameters, you could choose either neocaridina or caridina shrimps, or even amanos. They're all super cool to watch and have a low bioload! And you could add some fancy snails as well Or maybe you could look into dwarf crayfish too but they prefer hard water, so if the water at your college is soft, that's probably not a good idea. African dwarf frogs are another option for a nano tank!

As for plants, you could go with some mosses, which are great for shrimp too! Or any low light plants like anubias or java ferns. Do you know what type/model of tank you are getting? And how many gallons/liters? That would help narrow some choices down!

Btw having no clue here is a great place to start! You're definitely in the right place I got so much help from this forum when I started setting up my first tank and I learned so much from all the other experienced users! Please feel free to ask any other questions you have

Last edited by waterblossom; 08-13-2018 at 04:43 AM. Reason: .

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterblossom View Post
You could keep a small group of shrimps! Depending on your natural water parameters, you could choose either neocaridina or caridina shrimps, or even amanos. They're all super cool to watch and have a low bioload! And you could add some fancy snails as well Or maybe you could look into dwarf crayfish too but they prefer hard water, so if the water at your college is soft, that's probably not a good idea. African dwarf frogs are another option for a nano tank!

As for plants, you could go with some mosses, which are great for shrimp too! Or any low light plants like anubias or java ferns. Do you know what type/model of tank you are getting? And how many gallons/liters? That would help narrow some choices down!

Btw having no clue here is a great place to start! You're definitely in the right place I got so much help from this forum when I started setting up my first tank and I learned so much from all the other experienced users! Please feel free to ask any other questions you have
Thank you all! I was thinking of getting a 3-5 gallon tank, and don't know what model yet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Look at a Fluval Spec V, all in one tank. Just add substrate, water and plants. If you're going to add anything such as nano fish, you can get a small 25w heater that will fit in the pump compartment.

Fluval Spec V Aquarium 5 Gallon
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Algae Grower

Shino Is a good start for me, but Betta will do the trick too. You can start with moss, anubias, or any low spec plants.
Always work for me
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 PM
Planted Member

Are looking to stock with fish only? If so, then like the user above suggested, with 3-5 gallons a betta would be nice. Also one dwarf puffer is another option! Maybe endlers or a small shoal of microrasboras like chili rasbora? If you can though, I’d go for the 5 gallon instead of the 3 gallon because the extra 2 gallons helps widen your choices a bit more! Plus extra space for your fish is always super nice 🙂

You could search up some plants that do well without added fertilizers/dirted substrate as I’m not entirely familiar but I hear mosses, java fern, anubias, hornwort and wisteria do well with just necessary trace elements from fish waste and water changes.

Are you planning to set up the tank before you move into the dorms or after?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode